Requisition Id5840 Overview:
Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) is seeking a senior Quality Representative (QR) to act as the lead quality support for the Second Target Station (STS) project. The STS is a ~ $2 Billion, Department of Energy project to be constructed at the ORNL Spallation Neutron Source (SNS). The STS will provide wholly new capabilities for the study of a broad range of materials with neutron scattering and support thousands of users from the physical, materials, and applied sciences and industry. The science capabilities provided by the instrument suite at the STS will complement those of the two existing DOE Office of Science neutron scattering user facilities at ORNL, the First Target Station (FTS) of the SNS and the High Flux Isotope Reactor (HFIR). The STS will deliver the highest peak brightness of cold neutrons in the world, which together with advances in neutron optics, instrumentation, and detectors, will ensure US leadership in neutron scattering for decades to come. The QR will work with the STS project and other quality professionals to develop quality philosophy, tools and techniques, quality management systems, project/process improvements, strategic planning and performance metrics, and other quality-related initiatives to support operations. Job Duties and Responsibilities:
The QR will have primary responsibility for the quality program of the STS Project. The position reports to the Performance Analysis and Quality Division (PAQ) and is deployed to the STS Project and will work under the supervision of the Environment, Safety, Health and Quality Manager of the STS Project. The job duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Works as a member of the STS QA team in support of the project staff responsible for the design, engineering, and fabrication of buildings, and components for the accelerator, target, neutron instruments and integrated control systems.
- Mentors other QA team members as needed for STS QA tasks.
- Develops quality work schedules, plans and procedures, instructions, and training materials and may deliver quality training for project staff and subcontractors.
- Participates in drawing reviews, design reviews, the generation of technical specifications and statements of work, and the establishment of formal acceptance criteria.
- Provides QA review of the quality assurance and quality control requirements within procurement documents including solicitations, specifications, and statements of work.
- Provides QA review of vendors' submittals, including quality plans and manufacturing inspection plans.
- Assists technical staff with the creation of their quality plans and acceptance criteria lists, and selection of intervention points on vendors' manufacturing inspection plans.
- Conducts internal assessments, external audits, identifies corrective actions when necessary, and supports the corrective action process.
- Assist in implementation of nonconformance processing.
- Participates in application of the SNS calibration program to STS measuring and Test equipment.
- Supports receipt inspection and acceptance testing of STS components, items, and facilities.
- Supports application of software quality assurance requirements to STS software
- Performs Vendor Qualification and Verification activities:
- Reviews vendor QA submittals
- Participates in vendor source selection boards
- Performs Quality Systems Surveys at vendor facilities (pre-award)
- Performs ongoing vendor surveillance activities (after production starts)
- Participates in inspection and vendor verifications
- Manages non-conformance and deviation requests, including STS review and approval
- Closes-out QA issues relative to inspected and completed work
- Monitors project activities including those at vendor sites as needed for compliance and for effectiveness determinations of process. Reports and tracks issues and corrective actions.
- Follows-up on specified tests and inspections, and maintains the required documentation related to quality matters.
- Represent the STS Project by participating in and presenting project information at reviews, conferences, workshops and other neutron scattering facilities.
- Continually searches out new technologies and techniques to improve design, workflow, and optimization of processes and performance management functions.
- Operates and communicates effectively and efficiently with all levels of management on quality issues.
- Establishes relationships and works effectively with both external and internal customers to meet goals and assess customer satisfaction.
- Identifies and understands customer needs while influencing the prioritization and development of quality initiatives.
- Builds and develops strong relationships with peers and others to exchange feedback on issues or concerns.
- A Bachelor's Degree in science, engineering, or a related field with at least eight years of accelerator and/or nuclear-related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience, is required.
- Exceptional teamwork and statistical skills, with attention to detail and precision, are required attributes.
- Ability to read and interpret drawings.
- Position may require some level of travel.
- Must be able to qualify as radiological worker.
- The position requires strong computer, organizational, verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to multi-task.
- Strong analytical skills; project management; customer service experience; and the ability to interpret, communicate, and implement complex instructions are necessary.
- Experience in providing oversight and inspection of fabricated items and assemblies is required.
- A working knowledge of recognized Quality Standards and quality concepts is required.
The candidate should have 10 or more years of experience associated with quality assurance & quality control implementation following ASME NQA-1, ANSI, ASME BPVC, ASNT and AWS. Certifications in quality roles -ASQ for auditing, AWS or equivalent for NDE and weld inspection are desirable. Previous large project experience is highly desirable, with demonstrated ability to develop, implement and verify quality assurance and quality control methods to meet unique project requirements. The following list of experiences in a manufacturing environment are also highly desirable:
- Subject Matter Expertise for Suspect/Counterfeit Item determinations
- Subject Matter Expertise for Commercial Grade Dedications
- Implementing ASME BPVC requirements
- Dealing directly with manufacturing personnel, customer source inspectors and code inspectors
- Welding Engineer
Lead Auditor or assessor experience, proven decision-making skills, are desired, and a demonstrated track record of investigation analysis and problem solving are also desired.
Qualifications such as the following would be a plus and should be identified.
- Certification and direct experience as Level III inspector making determinations in at least three of the following five NDE inspection methods: Magnetic Particle, Dye Penetrant, Radiography, Ultrasonic, and Visual
- Certified Welding Inspector to AWS Level (CWI)
- Certified Lead Auditor to ANSI N45.2
- Lead ISO or NQA-1 Auditor
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the "About" tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer. Nearest Major Market: