The Product Development Engineer position will be part of the R&D Team for Fiber Optic products. Responsible for the development, improvement and qualification of fiber products. This position will coordinate projects involving the R&D team and different departments across the company, such as Product Line Management and Manufacturing Facilities. The ability to still speak fluent French will be required for this position.
Responsibilities Product Development Engineer - Fiber Optics Systems will include:
- Develop and manage product development activities from product definition up to the production introduction, release, and end of life.
- Maintain high level of expertise in the following areas: fiber (cables, connectors, connector installation, assemblies, transmission properties, characterization, fusion and mechanical splicing, optical coating, test methodology), network architectures trends, diverse fiber applications (PON, POLAN, Datacenters, LAN, Smart Buildings, Broadcast, Automation)
- Coordinate projects through cross-functional groups to support product development.
- Develop, Execute and/or Manage product qualification plans and procedures.
- Participate in the development, improvement and/or validation of the assembly procedures.
- Participate in the root-cause investigation and improvements of the product design.
- Work diligently with NPI and production teams to assure design for manufacturability.
- Supervise product introduction and implementation in manufacturing.
- Work closely with business development unit, front-end sales, technical support and field application engineers to come with solutions for customers.
- Conducts market research, monitors competitive activity and identifies customer needs to define new product requirements.
Required Skills and Experience for our Product Development Engineer - Fiber Optics Systems include:
- BS degree in Physics/Electrical/Mechanical Engineering or other related Science/Engineering field.
- 5+ years of relevant experience in fiber optic product development, application or production environment.
- Excellent communications skills, fluent in both English and French.
- Experience with optical test & measurements techniques using OTDR, OLTS, Interferometer, Reflectometer, Visual Inspection, Power Meter and/or Optical Spectrum Analyzer (OSA).
- Experience with fiber characterization and optical transmission effects.
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes and quality improvement methods.
- Knowledge of manufacturing process for optical products.
- Knowledge of Telecommunications, Data communication, and Networking.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Project Management skills and ability to execute projects through indirect reports.
- Excellent team-working skills, flexible and open minded
- Computer skills: MSOffice, Statistical Tools, LabView
- Knowledges on CAD System Solidworks or similar software
Additional Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Abilities for our Product Development Engineer - Fiber Optics Systems position:
- Knowledge of LEAN Management
- Ability to mentor and teach junior profiles on the team
- Knowledge of different manufacturing processes such as injection molding and optical coating application
- Ability to speak Spanish is a plus