Thorlabs seeks a Fiber Laser Product Development Engineer to work at the Thorlabs Quantum Electronics facility located in Jessup, MD in the Baltimore-Washington area. Candidate will work as part of the Fiber Laser R&D team to research and develop scientific fiber laser technologies. Candidate will be responsible for designing and testing fiber amplifiers and lasers in CW and femtosecond pulsed regimes and in a broad range of wavelengths in the near- and mid-infrared. Candidate will also be responsible for completing the product release process and transferring to production.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Designing, building, and testing breadboard and prototype fiber lasers for scientific applications;
- Interacting with design team to assist in overall development of the product;
- Developing test procedures, writing user manuals, and training manufacturing and service personnel for transition of products from research and development to manufacturing;
- Creating specifications to purchase fiber components, semiconductor lasers, and test equipment;
- Providing technical support to Manufacturing, Marketing, and Service.
- 3+ years of demonstrated experience in development and implementation of femtosecond fiber laser designs in either academia or industry
- Master of Science in Physics, Optics, or other related engineering disciplines
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Hands-on experience building fiber lasers and amplifiers
- Strong understanding of femtosecond pulse propagation in fiber including the effects of dispersion and nonlinearity
- Knowledge of mode-locked fiber laser designs and theory of operation
- Experience with femtosecond pulse characterization such as auto-correlator, FROG or SPIDER
- Knowledge of core-pumped and cladding-pumped active fiber systems
- Hands-on experienceworking with fiber fusion splicer and cleave
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.