A major materials supplier to the fiber cement industry is seeking an experienced project manager to support new product development efforts at their central research and development center in the continental United States. The key responsibilities of this role are:
- Provide project and technology platform leadership to launch differentiated raw material products tailored to the needs of fiber cement and specialty concrete industries.
- Leverage existing enterprise intellectual property (patents and trade secrets) and lead the development of additional intellectual property to establish strong product positions within targeted fiber cement and concrete markets.
- Collaborate with enterprise market/business development resources in developing strong value propositions for new product offerings into selected fiber cement and concrete market segments.
- Work with the enterprise sales organization in a technical sales/support role to introduce product offerings, develop customer relationships and close business.
- Support prospective customers in trialing of product prototypes, modifying prototypes to match customer requirements and finalization of product specifications.
- Support capital appropriation processes to make the business case for capital investment(s) needed to establish manufacturing capability for these products- function as liaison to business- and enterprise-level capital management teams. Support resulting capital projects through start-up and commercial ramp-up.
This position reports into the New Product Development department.
Key duties for this position include the following:
- Highly knowledgeable in fiber cement and concrete-related processes, technologies, raw materials, products and product recipes, applications and industry structure/competitors
- Highly knowledgeable in developing and protecting trade secrets through patents for a new product platform
- Highly skilled in leading teams and communicating across with all internal and external stakeholders
- Strong project management skills; leads projects of high value, complexity and risk and functions as a facilitator, consultant and researcher
- Manages cost, schedule, project changes and performance factors
- Leads cross functional teams to define scope, objective and work details of projects
- Negotiates commitments for all needed resources and makes project team assignments
- Has capabilities that ensure implementation of improvements in technology and operations
- Latitude to pursue assignments within framework defined by client
- Contributes innovative thinking and creativity to problem solving in specialty area
- Prepares and presents proposals and reports or coordinates others’ reporting effort
- Understands the roles and relationships across company businesses and organizations
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with: coworkers, clients, organizations across the company, key business partners, external organizations.
- Travels to international customer locations to establish relationships and provide technical, market development and sales support.
- PhD, MS or Bachelor’s degree in engineering or science (or other technical discipline) with broad knowledge of fiber cement industry processes, raw materials, products and product recipes, technologies, markets and industry participants. Ten or more years of experience in varying functional roles in the fiber cement industry.
- Proven capability to work safely in an industrial R&D or manufacturing environment. Highly focused on personal and team safety; proactive in ensuring that all work is conducted in a safe manner.
- A minimum of five years project management experience
- Recognizes opportunities beyond scope of original problem
- Selects technical approach using standard and nonstandard techniques to solve highly complex problems
- Effectively implements solutions
- Converts technical solutions into business solutions and ensures that business implementation of technology has a sound scientific and financial basis
- Track record of making sustained contributions that add significant value to the company, e.g., commercialized products, technology developments, research findings and/or inventions
- Communicates effectively in the primary unit, in the department, and with: operations clients, business clients, R&D, businesses, senior management, suppliers and customers