Description of Job: Design and execute a wide range of microbial fermentation optimization experiments to develop scalable and cost-effective fermentation media and conditions and downstream processing processes to support development of new microbial and metabolite-based bio-pesticides, plant growth regulators and other biorational products. This individual will also be responsible for experimental data analysis and interpretation as well as preparation and presentation of reports and recommendations.
- Work closely with Manager and team members to design and execute experimental programs.
- Conduct all work in strict compliance with all applicable safety requirements, containment requirements, standard operating practices, and/or guidelines.
- Prepare and maintain master and working stocks of microbial strains following written procedures, and revise or develop preparation protocols as needed.
- Develop seed preparation, inoculation and fermentation protocols.
- Identify key factors affecting fermentation including media compositions, inoculum preparation, inoculation rate, and fermentation control parameters.
- Design fermentation optimization experiments based on literature, knowledge and experiences.
- Conduct fermentation experiments at various levels from bench top (250 mL and 7.5L) to pilot scale (40L and 125L) to improve yield of biomass or desirable metabolites and minimize undesirable metabolites.
- Scale up/down fermentation processes between different scales and support internal and external tech transfer and/or research activities.
- Assist in downstream processing development as needed.
- Handle and work with a variety of microorganisms including bacteria and fungi.
- Perform microbiological, physical, microscopic, analytical, and bioassay experiments as required.
- Maintain laboratory equipment and instruments and follow GLP guidelines where required.
- Trouble-shoot contamination issues in both pilot plant and in production plants as needed.
- Provide fermentation support to manufacturing operations as needed.
- Write research reports and prepare technical presentations.
- Keep detailed records of experiments and documentation in Electronic Lab Notebook and database systems.
- Practical hands-on experience with industrial fermentation of bacteria, fungi, yeast and/or mold.
- Working familiarity with various fermentors from mini-scale (250 mL) to production scale (100,000 L).
- Working knowledge or experiences in scaling-up/down fermentations from laboratory to pilot plant and to manufacturing.
- Downstream processing knowledge or experiences in separation, concentration and purification.
- Routine working knowledge of experimental design and hands-on familiarity with data analysis using statistical tools.
- Hands-on experience in Gram staining and microscopic observations of cells and spores.
- Strong aseptic laboratory and operational skills and basic microbiology lab techniques.
- Broad knowledge of microorganisms including bacteria, actinomycetes, yeast and mold.
- Adaptable and flexible in priority and time management.
- Ability to work independently and in team environment.
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented and reliable team player.
Education: Ph.D. or M.S. degree in fermentation, biochemical engineering, microbiology, biotechnology or related field with a minimum of 3 years (Ph.D.) or 5 years (M.S.) of industrial fermentation experience.
Travel: 5-10% domestic