For 70 years, Charles River employees have worked together to assist in the discovery, development and safe manufacture of new drug therapies. When you join our family, you will have a significant impact on the health and well-being of people across the globe. Whether your background is in life sciences, finance, IT, sales or another area, your skills will play an important role in the work we perform. In return, we’ll help you build a career that you can feel passionate about.
We are seeking a Farm Manager to support our poultry farm located in Roanoke, IL.
The Farm Manager will manage the farm operations, including oversight of several poultry houses on the site, maintaining biosecurity.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for management of farm operations, including oversight of several poultry houses on each site, to meet production standards and quality expectations.
- Participate in and train staff on poultry husbandry duties which include but are not limited to: breeder egg selection, incubation and hatching, beak trimming, pullet management, environmental sampling, nest imprinting, breeder/grow house management, depopulations, egg processing and general packing.
- Monitor proper egg sanitizing process.
- Respond to alarm calls quickly and efficiently.
- Maintain farm supply inventory, including feed.
- Responsible for providing quality SPF eggs and birds.
- Maintain records according to SOPs.
- Oversee maintenance/housekeeping of all farm property and production/processing equipment.
- Maintain biosecurity on the farm.
- Provide leadership and commitment to the Quality process.
- Manage activities of assigned group(s) to ensure effective performance of function.
- Notify production/operations management of potential problems with flocks.
- Interview and select qualified exempt- and non-exempt level departmental personnel. Recommend, review and approve personnel actions, including hiring, promotions and raises. Partner with Human Resources in the handling of disciplinary issues. Prepare and/or approve appropriate personnel action paperwork.
- Identify training and development needs of direct reports. Develop and oversee the implementation of departmental training programs, including orientation; monitor training programs to ensure ongoing effectiveness.
- Monitor performance of direct reports. Provide regular coaching and counseling. Prepare and deliver salary and performance reviews; review and approve performance and salary appraisals initiated by direct reports.
- Authorize overtime as needed. Review and approve time cards. Review and approve vacation/time off requests and coordinate vacation/time off schedules.
- Assist in the development of short- and long-range operating objectives, organizational structure, and staffing requirements. Assist in the development of a departmental plan for backup and succession of supervisory staff and key technical personnel.
- Communicate regularly with Production Manager
- Occasionally fill in for House Managers.
- Assist in the development and recommendation of departmental budget. Authorize expenditures in accordance with budget. Approve budget and expenses of subordinates.
- Ensure optimum performance of group function. Determine and implement techniques to improve productivity, increase efficiencies, cut costs, take advantage of opportunities, and maintain state-of-the-art practices.
- Develop and maintain departmental systems and SOPs. Assist in the development and communication of departmental policies and procedures. Partner with Human Resources to develop and approve job descriptions for subordinate positions; ensure communication of duties and responsibilities to employees.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A./B.S.) in poultry management or related discipline.
- 4-6 years related experience in poultry management
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Must be able to understand equipment operation and maintenance; Must be available to work any of the 7 days a week and holidays; Good written and verbal communication skills.