Responsible for providing Nurse Triage Support defined as the safe, effective, and appropriate disposition of health-related problems via telephone to primary care clinics in a call center environment, including but not limited to triage and patient education.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Prioritizes calls based on the urgency of the patient’s needs, collecting and documenting information regarding a patient’s concerns, medical history and description of symptoms via the telephone using nursing triage and symptom-based protocols to systematically assess and address patient’s needs.
- Promotes and demonstrates understanding of high quality patient care in the ambulatory care setting.
- Actively listens to patients, not only what the patient says, but also the ability to interpret subtle indications such as the tone of voice, hesitations or incomplete responses while possibly speaking with patients who speak limited English or has someone interpreting for them.
- Asks appropriate questions without visual observations to help make a nursing diagnosis of the patient’s problem.
- Speaks on the phone to patients, assisting them in determining the urgency of care needed, referring them to or scheduling appointments with providers and giving health information and advice.
- Provides patient education via the telephone and documents education given.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing from a four-year college or university and three to five years related experience, community health center experiencepreferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Licenses or Certificates
- Current Washington State Registered Nurse license required