The Plant Manager is responsible for leading and directing the “end to end” waste processing operations in Spring Hill, Florida. The Spring Hill plant thermally treats various types of waste (municipal, industrial, profile, etc.), operates significant material handling equipment, performs metal recovery, power generation and is staffed by approximately 40 non-union employees. Manufacturing takes place 24/7, with rotating shift schedules. The facility Manager is a strong advocate for our environmental and safety efforts while developing long-term positive relationships with the local community.
The plant is one of the facilities supporting the Covanta Waste Business, a $1.8 billion revenue. The site has experienced continuing growth of its processing activities and is strategic to the business's growth plans.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Ensure safe and environmentally responsible operations at the site.
• Oversee and promote effective Health, Safety, and Environmental programs and practices.
• Lead site operations to consistently meet or exceed business objectives and Annual Operating Plan targets.
• Develop and execute strategy for the site to increase operational discipline/accountability, productivity, quality, reliability, employee engagement/retention.
• Champion use of Six Sigma/Lean tools in driving plant improvement to develop and implement strategic initiatives relative to inventory, capacity utilization, and growth opportunities to deliver business results and drive maturity beyond current level.
• Maintain cost effectiveness through aggressive productivity and asset management.
• Improve and develop organization capabilities through effective performance management and planning/utilization of human and capital resources.
• Drive cultural change, accountability, and continuous improvement mindset throughout the organization.
• Develop and maintain effective site leadership team. Motivate the team to encourage personal and professional growth by setting goals and objectives for all functional areas of the plant.
• Develop relationships to improve performance with key Clients.
• Build positive working relationships within the global organization and serve as point-of-contact for broader Company initiatives.
• Champion programs to address employee satisfaction, employee training, communications, technology transfer, process improvement and departmental structure to support operating and strategic goals.
• Represent Covanta in local government, community, and industry groups.
.Coordinates all outages and maintenance planning including utilizing regional and corporate resources when necessary to maximize effectiveness.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or related field.
• Minimum of 10 years of progressive manufacturing experience.
• Minimum 7 years supervisory/management experience in a manufacturing environment.
• Previous management experience in a specialty chemical plant, environment with significant material handling, coal fired power plant or equivalent.
• Chemical or Mechanical Engineering degree preferred.
• Proven leadership skills as a team player/builder and a driver of value-added results.
• In-depth knowledge of manufacturing operations, project planning, cost control, and program management.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with demonstrated ability to influence others and interact effectively with all levels of the organization.
• Experience in use of Six Sigma tools, with Lean, Black belt or Green belt certification preferred.
• Proven track record of success in implementing HS&E programs and business initiatives.
• Strong internal and external communication and team-building skills.
• Ability to energize and develop all levels of the organization.
• Diversity awareness.
• Experience in building (re-building) process/systems focused structure.