Where You Will Work
Located in Boulder, Colorado, University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR) serves and participates in a collaborative community of researchers and educators who are dedicated to understanding the atmosphere -- the air around us -- and the complex processes that make up the Earth system, from the ocean floor to the Sun’s core. We manage the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) on behalf of the National Science Foundation and the university community.
What You Will Do
Responsible for the mechanical and related systems design for all UCAR sites. Work closely with maintenance in problem solving as well as developing initial design for projects. Performs as a project manager for designated projects. May also function as owners’ representative in outsource design projects.
- Designs facilities mechanical systems including HVAC and building piping systems using traditional engineering procedures.
- Responsible for working with customers to determine mechanical system requirements and prepare initial conceptual designs and budget estimates. Prepare statements of work for consultant engineering when required.
- Performs as project manager for all related mechanical projects.
- Provides engineering expertise to the maintenance staff to establish technical requirements and procedures for the preventative maintenance of facilities equipment and systems. Responsible for maintaining a strategic overview of the mechanical building systems.
- Provides engineering input to Maintenance and Physical Plant Services professionals in decisions that affect long term building systems.
- Responsible for reviewing energy efficient design options and providing recommendations on new and replacement equipment and system purchase installations.
- Provides critical review of new construction and remodel plans developed by consulting engineers. Monitors and inspects the day-to-day activities of contract staff to ensure contract and specification compliance.
- Update and maintain the as-built drawing files on all NCAR/UCAR owned and leased buildings. Manage drawing files and produce drawings on AutoCad.
What You Need
- BS degree in mechanical engineering, or a related field, and 5-10 years of engineering experience, some of which with a professional firm; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Skill in working effectively with others and under deadline pressures and distractions.
- Skill in working with contractors, tradesman, and installers.
- Skill in developing project documentation and deliverables.
- Project management skills including developing and executing project schedules.
- Skill in inspecting mechanical installations.
- Basic knowledge of federal purchasing, procurement, and contracting procedures and regulations.
- Skill in the use of AutoCad to generate construction documents, including 2D drafting including layer and attribute management.
- Skill in the use of XREF’s and of Paper and Model Space.
- Knowledge of general architectural construction, HVAC, plumbing, fire protection, and electrical power and lighting systems.
- Skill in writing technical reports, technical specifications and othercontract documents.
- Must have a thorough knowledge of, and skill in the application of, Uniform Building Code and other applicable codes.