This position directs and oversees the maintenance and repair of buildings and structures including administrative buildings, training and range facilities, classroom facilities, maintenance shops, warehouses, storage and equipment sheds, transportation facilities, above ground storage tanks, petroleum, oil and lubricant (POL) points, medical facilities and clinics, airfield and heliport facilities, bridge structures, transient housing, recreational facilities, barracks, billeting, and chapels on Fort Benning and supported satellite locations.
- Oversees and coordinates activities of personnel engaged in carrying out department objectives in the Facilities Maintenance and Repair Branch.
- Reviews shop workload, schedules, and personnel assignments.
- Reviews status of ongoing work and projects.
- Interprets codes associated with the building and constructiontrade.
- Advises and makes recommendations on work efficiencies.
- Enforces proper safety procedures.
- Coordinates work activities with other shops within Public Works.
- Responsible for conforming to all safe work practices and procedures.
- Plan and schedule the work of a section, department or organization for maximum effective utilization of employees, equipment and material within budgetary, cost and quality standards.
- Estimate manpower requirements. Requisition and select qualified employees necessary to perform work.
- Maintain discipline of employees under their supervision in accordance with established rules and regulations. Initiate appropriate disciplinary action.
- Assume responsibility for the proper application of established employee relations, wage and salary policies, safety and health regulations.
- Initiates action and recommends promotions, merit increases, transfers, leaves of absence, disciplinary action and other personnel actions or changes.
- Coordinate the functions performed under his/her supervision with those performed under other supervision.
- Arranges for proper maintenance of machines, equipment and facilities for which the work unit is responsible.
- Prepares reports concerning department budget and activities.
- Briefs management team and customer on status of functional operations in formal setting
- Establishes and maintains professional, customer-oriented interfaces with all customers in the field, and periodically surveys those customers to determine level of satisfaction with services provided to them.
Skills and Qualifications
- Knowledge of all trade procedures used in the maintenance and repair of facilities.
- Knowledge of chemicals and equipment used in the building maintenance trade.
- Knowledge of principles of stock control.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of supervision and training.
- Knowledge and experience in the principles of work control and cradle-to-grave work order processing, from receipt to close-out.
- Knowledge of safety measures associated with the building maintenance trade.
- Skill in utilizing a personal computer and associated software programs.
- Ability to effectively evaluate and manage heavy workload to maintain compliance while gaining efficiencies in operations
- Ability to realign resources to accommodate workload surges or reprioritization of the work
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, and customer representatives.
- Ability to read blueprints, schematics and construction diagrams/designs.
- Graduation from high school or a General Education Development (GED) Certificate. Associatedegree in related technical trade discipline preferred.
- 10+ years of experience in building maintenance, including 5+ year of supervisory experience.
- This position requires a valid state driver’s license