Simply stated, Materion makes advanced materials that improve the world. We are a global leader in creating innovative, high performance engineered material solutions and services for a wide range of growth industries: high-tech consumer electronics, telecommunications, commercial aerospace, defense, medical, automotive, and many more.
Our products, services and expertise help enable customers’ technologies. We supply sophisticated thin film coatings for hard disk drives, specialty inorganic chemicals for solar energy panels, bio-compatible materials for implantable medical devices, specialty alloys for miniature consumer electronics components, optical filters for thermal imaging, critical components for infrared sensing technology, special materials for LEDs and much more. As the world’s only integrated “mine-to-mill” supplier of beryllium-based products, we also offer beryllium, specialty engineered beryllium alloys and beryllium composites.?
As a team of 2,700 associates, we partner with customers in more than 50 countries. In 2017, we generated over $1B+ in revenues and made an exciting new acquisition that expanded our footprint in the U.S., Europe and Asia.
JOB PURPOSE AND REPORTING STRUCTURE
- Reporting the Plant Engineering Manager this position will be responsible for assisting in plant facilities operation and maintenance. Project facilitator for engineering aspects of plant, equipment upgrades, new equipment installations, including: structural, mechanical, piping, HVAC and other plant infrastructure systems. In coordination with the EHS Leadership Team, evaluate, diagnose, and recommend and execute solutions to safety related concerns within the facility.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
General Environment/Major or Unusual Problems:
Critical skills and knowledge base includes understanding of electrical power and controls engineering, project management skills, and the ability to adapt and think creatively in a fast-paced manufacturing environment. Building and maintaining excellent working relationships with engineering, quality, production, equipment operators and maintenance personnel is crucial. Understanding in the areas of building facilities management, electricaldistribution and control systems, electrical safety, continuous improvement, cost reduction, and innovative problem-solving is required
- Primary responsibility will be for all aspects of building facilities functions, plant electricaldistribution and controls and electrical equipment safety. Day to day work responsibilities will consist of the following:
- Planning and implementing multi-disciplinary projects that may involve personnel from different departments, vendors and outside contractors
- Budgetary planning and development of future electrical/mechanical/facility projects
- Working with maintenance, production and engineering personnel to identify operational or safety issues, and develop appropriate response/action plans as required
- Assisting electrical maintenance personnel where required to ensure a quick and successful response to equipment breakdowns
- Identifying preventative maintenance issues on electricaldistribution and control systems
- Maintaining and troubleshooting PLCs
- Maintaining and troubleshooting AC and DC motor control drives
Safety Project Management:
- Work with operations and engineering personnel to design, prepare, and implement safety projects ranging from single department to multiple integrated systems, services and initiatives
- Prepare or review specifications or orders for the purchase of safety equipment, ensuring that proper features are present and that the items conform to EHS standards
- Assess EHS performance by participating in plant audits and hazard analyses and recommend opportunities for improvement
- Assess safety, health and environmental hazards and risks and develop mitigation actions utilizing the engineer and maintenance departments.
- Develop, review and investigate injury and near miss reports and safety suggestions
- Participate on and/or chair Safety Committees and Tactical Teams as required for implementation or continuous improvement of safety programs and initiatives (ex: Sling Safety Team, Machine Guarding Team, JHA Team, etc.)
- Assist in identifying proper tools for applications
- Investigates industrial accidents to minimize recurrence.
- Perform functions of site PIT trainer – ensuring all employees receive certification or recertification as required for all PITs and other material handling devices
- Develop and provide EHS training as required
- Provide production support for toolbox talks when requested Document all projects (engineering drawings, equipment instructions, equipment manuals, purchase orders, etc.) placing them in the Electronic Document Management System.
- Develop design concepts and create preliminary engineering drawings in Auto-Cad.
- Remain current with new changes in laws and regulations
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering required with 5+ years of industrial planexperience. Good working knowledge of plant mechanical systems such as pumps and piping, heating and ventilation, air conditioning systems, structural engineering, power transmission, machinery design. Strong working knowledge and experience with electrical power distribution systems and industrial controls and processes. Safety accreditations a plus such as Certified Safety Engineer and/or an active member of the ASSE.
- Demonstrated success in managing small to medium sized projects and leading cross-functional teams required to mitigate safety risks.
- Ability to work in teams and lead a project
- Outstanding organizational and interpersonal skills
- Strong management and multitasking ability
- Strong command over verbal and written communication
- Ability to provide and implement plans, objectives and standards timely
- GE ‘Proficy’ Machine Edition PLC programming experience a plus
- Control Techniques AC and DC motor drive control programming experience a plus
- Wonderware ‘InTouch’ software experience a plus
- LabView software experience a plus