Ascend Learning; LLC is a leading provider of technology-based educational, curriculum and assessment solutions for high-growth careers in a range of industries, including healthcare, fitness and wellness, and insurance and financial services. We provide outcomes-based solutions aimed at helping people enter, sustain and succeed in their chosen fields. Ascend employs more than 1,200 employees, with headquarters in Burlington, Mass., and offices in Kansas City metro, Phoenix metro, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Walnut Creek, California, Ann Arbor, Michigan, New York, and the U.K.
The F5 Systems Engineer will be responsible for the implementation and support of the company’s systems infrastructure and disaster recovery platforms. This position is highly technical in nature, requires excellent technical skills in a variety of competencies, and the ability to learn and adopt new technologies. The F5 Systems Engineer will join a team of highly motivated engineers who are passionate about technology. The team is responsible for supporting our 24x7 systems infrastructure.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Implements and supports the organization’s systems infrastructure
- Implements and supports the organizations disaster recovery tools and orchestration processes
- Conducts recurring tests of Disaster Recovery plans, documents results, and remediates identified issues
- Evaluates current systems environments, conducts research, recommends, and implements innovate systems technology that can enhance the reliability, security, productivity, and efficiency of the IT infrastructure
- Develops and maintains documentation of design, as well as, on-going operation and administration of systems infrastructure
- Contribute to and maintains technical standards for systems infrastructure
- Provides mentoring and acts as an escalation point for junior-level engineers, administrators, and technicians
- Provides Third-tier support for the efficient resolution of systems-related incidents, service requests, and problems; and updates service desk management tool accordingly
- Assists other IT functional teams to troubleshoot critical business systems
- Solves complex problems with many variables
- Customer-centric attitude with internal and external customers
- High level of written communication and documentation skills
- Possess knowledge in ITIL processes such as Incident Management, Problem Management, Change Management, Release Management, Service Delivery, and Continual Service Improvement
- Must be disciplined, dynamic and flexible to manage multiple projects and tasks, work effectively in a rapidly changing environment and meet ongoing and overlapping deadlines
- Must be able to operate autonomously with little supervision to achieve desired goals
- Work weekends/nights on occasion for maintenance
- Participate in weekly on-callsupport rotation
Education and Experience
- Experience with F5 LTM and ASM deployments.
- Manage load balancing in a large scale, complex, enterprise data center environment
- Experience writing F5 iRules.
- A Bachelor's degree in computer science, MIS, IS, related field or equivalent and related work experience is required
- 5+ years of experience as a Systems Engineer or Senior Systems Engineer
- Advanced certifications preferred (e.g. MCSE, MCITP, VCP, CCEE, CCEA)
- Extensive experience and in-depth knowledge of systems technology, such as but not limited to Windows 2008 and higher, Active Directory, Ubuntu Linux, VMware vSphere 5.5 or higher, SAN (EMC, NetApp), and Data Center design
- Experience with disaster recovery tools such as Azure Site Recovery, VMWare Site Recovery Manager, Zerto, RecoverPoint, or Veeam.
- Experience with data center consolidation and migrations
- Knowledge of application load balancing strategies and advanced techniques for application delivery.
- Knowledge and experience in application switching and traffic management.
- Extensive knowledge of application requirements (such as persistence), SSL offloading and implementation of SSL certificates and keys, web acceleration, and TCP optimization.
Ascend Learning, LLC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer (M/F/Vets/Disabled). No agency or search firm submissions will be accepted. Applications for U.S. based positions with Ascend Learning, LLC must be legally authorized to work in the United States and verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire.