Avery Dennison (NYSE: AVY) is a global materials science company specializing in the design and manufacture of a wide variety of labeling and functional materials. The company’s products, which are used in nearly every major industry, include pressure-sensitive materials for labels and graphic applications; tapes and other bonding solutions for industrial, medical, and retail applications; tags, labels and embellishments for apparel; and radio frequency identification (RFID) solutions serving retail apparel and other markets. Headquartered in Glendale, California, the company employs more than 30,000 employees in more than 50 countries. Reported sales in 2020 were $7.0 billion. Learn more
External Embellishments (EE) encompasses heat transfer labels, woven labels and specialty trims on the outside of a garment, footwear, or accessory. The Solutions Director, External Embellishments is accountable for the successful solution development and deployment for the EE business. This role is responsible for leading a high impact, cross-functional team developing and deploying an industry-leading solutions portfolio to grow the EE business by 3x, 5x, and 10x over strategic growth periods. The team’s activities include scouting technology and materials, and deploying new production-ready items. This EE leadership team member establishes the vision and leads the execution of global solution strategies and initiatives for EE, ensuring the team delivers on all solution goals.
This role has responsibility to lead an outcomes-based global team across multiple functions, partnering closely with leaders in Marketing, Commercial, Innovation and Product Line Management (PLM), as well as country and functional (Operations, IT, HR, Finance) business leaders. This role has direct line responsibility for product line management and new product development (i.e. near team solution development), and is a key partner to our innovation organization.
YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE:
- Leading the development of channel/market-based strategies that deliver a suite of solutions to drive competitive advantage for Avery Dennison.
- Leading new product development efforts that deliver new product offerings on a seasonal basis.
- Developing and executing a customer experience model through regional “centers of excellence” that highlights Avery Dennison’s capabilities and serves as a point of collaboration with our customers and strategic partners.
- Partnering with our innovation team to identify and scope strategic innovation platforms/initiatives that will deliver long-term, sustainable advantage to the business.
- Partnering with open innovation and partnerships team to engage potential solution partners that expand Avery Dennison’s capabilities and open new revenue opportunities/models.
- Working with operations to ensure the integrity and stability of the external embellishments supply chain.
- Commercializing - technical validation, solution positioning, strategic pricing, marketing - all new external embellishment solutions.
- Partnering with our technical selling teams to ensure that they have the required solution knowledge and insights to articulate the value of our solutions to our customers.
- Working with our commercial and technical selling teams to develop and execute a pipeline of commercial opportunities to deliver annual operating goals and strategic revenue targets.
- Influencing senior Avery Dennison leadership and other key stakeholders in delivering the external embellishments strategy and key initiatives.
- Creating investment requirements and business cases to support the ambitions of the external embellishments business.
- Ensuring that the external embellishments organization has the talent required to execute against its ambitions.
- Keeping abreast of market trends that will influence the growth of the external embellishments solution.
- Developing and maintaining strategic working relationships with business partners within customers’ organizations
- Acting as a broader leader within the External Embellishments team and PLM, Innovation and Sustainability organizations to promote a culture of curiosity, execution, inclusion and diversity.
- 10+ years of experience in product management, marketing, business development, commercial sales or general management.
- Knowledge of the retail apparel market preferred.
- Demonstrated track record of delivering commercial business results.
- Previous experience building and leading a diverse team preferred.
- Good financial acumen, including P&L management, ROI analysis and development of business plans.
- Curiosity and the willingness to challenge norms.
- Strong influencing skills and the ability to champion projects both cross functionally and vertically within the organization.
- Excellent interpersonal, written communications, and organizational skills.
- Previous experience working in a distributed or agile environment is a strong positive.
- Ability to travel.