The External Communications Specialist helps develop and edit a variety of information, spanning bylined articles, infographics, news and feature stories, ads and advertorials, videos, events, social media, presentation materials, posters, report s, results for this global Center of Excellence (COE) and more. The highly-skilled External Communications Specialist keenly understands the multi-channel ecosystem of communications and actionizes plans while guiding Ortho staff on how to effectively leverage the appropriate guidance, resources and tools to convey information, engage external stakeholders and inform internal employees to build brand ambassadorship.
The External Communications Specialist will work closely with regional marketers and communicators to develop key messages, identify opportunities for media coverage, amplify regional stories, actively pursue press coverage, media train staff and garner trade and top-tier press reporting. This role also focuses on the repurposing of content to different usages to optimize opportunities for Ortho.
The External Communications Specialist will be responsible for developing and posting content in all formats across digital communication channels, including the external-facing website, corporate intranet, electronic newsletters, customer emails, etc. This role closely collaborates with internal teams to gather input and validate communication pieces, while closely adhering to process protocols.
The External Communications Specialist will work in concert with Global Corporate Brand and Communications colleagues to help support and execute core communication activities globally. This includes responding to press inquiries, developing, distributing and editing key messages, press releases, social media content, infographics, presentational storylines, website content and thought leadership, managing shared material, and tracking tactical and strategic deliverables.
The External Communications Specialist will collect, curate, and review select external public relations materials to promote internally and externally as well as prepare coverage reports related to events and campaigns. The External Communications Specialist will facilitate and manage third-party relationships related to initiatives and coordinate with the broader Communications team to ensure alignment from all standpoints.
The External Communications Specialist will support the Company’s brand identity and serve as an ambassador as well as a key responder to internal and external requests related to the use of our brand, images and templates.
The External Communications Specialist must be a team player who is able to build solid relationships, manage through a global sphere of influence and work effectively with key stakeholders, team members and senior leadership. The desired candidate must be an agile, punctual, active listener and a critical thinker who is highly efficient and creatively finds contemporary solutions to drive engagement and increase metrics.
- A Bachelor’s degree in English, communications or journalism; Master’s Degree a plus.
- 5-8+ years of experience on a communications team.
- 5+ years of experience managing press, responding to inquiries and acting in an official spokesperson capacity.
- Top-level professional writing skills and excellent oral communications abilities required.
- Extreme attention to detail (accuracy, spelling, formatting, consistency), highly organized.
- Savvy in digital platforms, including web content systems, layout, and social media.
- Proven track record in the management of projects, deadlines and processes, especially in dynamic matrix organizations.
- Deep understanding and execution of being a team player, a trusted business partner and the role technology plays in timely and critical communications.
- Ability to convey content in a simple, clear way that connects with audiences and aligns with the brand.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and discretion in handling confidential information and development of material.
- Proficient with MS Office, including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel and SharePoint.
- Familiarity with survey tools, online analytics or other measurement practices a plus.
- Experience in guiding communications production and logistics including presentations, events and video.