Position Description: Barrick is looking for an External Communications Specialist in support of all Barrick Gold of North America Operations. The primary responsibilities are to assess the public affairs situation, advise senior leaders on public affairs issues and assist them in making well-informed decisions, and translate the decisions into effective public affairs operations. Ensures all programs, personal actions and approaches support the organization’s goals for safety and sustainability. This position is located in Elko, NV and will require travel to Nevada based mine sites, with occasional travel to the Global Shared Service Center in Henderson, NV and company headquarters in Toronto as needed. Responsibilities:
- Assist with the design and development of an external communications strategy that promotes, protects and builds on Barrick’s reputation and ensures alignment with Barrick’s overall strategy and purpose.
- Develop and design external communications materials in compliance with the Barrick brand standard to include newsletters, releases, email announcements, planned publications, social media, intranet and video as required to execute on the external communication strategy.
- Engage with Barrick leaders, communities and employees to develop materials for communication to stakeholders.
- Develop an execute special projects and assignments as required to execute on the external communications strategy.
- Contact members of the media to set up interviews with company representatives.
- Maintain a communication materials library (e.g., social media, written, video, speeches) that ensures connection of Barrick’s past to its future.
- Provide media training for leaders.
- Advise Senior Leaders on implications of actions.
- Supervise photojournalists and broadcasters.
- Communicate news and information to the internal Barrick audience.
- A minimum of ten (10) or more years of experience in external communications with private industry or military exposure.
- Excellent written and editing skills that encourage thought-provoking, adaptive, timely and well- articulated communications
- Ability to engage at all levels from senior executive to frontline employees to community leaders and average citizens.
- High degree of professional ethics and a strong desire to ensure external communications efforts are driving community engagement within the Northern Nevada region.
- Proven and demonstrated knowledge of communication methodologies