Rad Power Bikes is on a mission to get people onto bikes, electric bikes that are built for everything and priced for everyone - the weekend warriors, hardcore commuters, and family cyclists.
Madly growing and headquartered in Seattle, WA, we are seeking a full-time External Communications Manager to join our team, reporting to our Senior Public Relations & Communications Manager. If you enjoy working in a collaborative and fast-paced environment and are looking for a high-impact communications role, read on.
Our External Communications Manager will be responsible for developing and executing Rad’s thought leadership and social impact programs that elevate our brand and position both our company and executive team as leaders in the industry. Rad Power Bikes isn’t just a bike company, it is a mobility company and a steward of the people-led movement for e-bikes and micro-mobility. This person will lead the charge in bringing that charter to life through external communications.
Why You’re Rad (about you):
- 6-10+ years of experience in media or public relations at a fast-paced, news-driven organization - in house, agency, or both
- 4+ years of direct experience designing the media and thought leadership strategies, and working with press directly to secure earned coverage in top tier business, industry and technology press
- Proven ability to build relationships with journalists, community stakeholders and industry/non-profit organizations
- Highly adaptable, able to manage multiple deadline-driven projects and make tough decisions on priorities when needed
- Accustomed to working with and providing counsel to executive leadership teams
- B.A. degree in Marketing, Advertising, Communications, or a related discipline
- Great communicator, a brand ambassador, and possess the know-how and initiative to get the job done while telling Rad Power Bikes’ story with consistent messaging and aggressive earned media goals
- A deep understanding of the media, media climate, and news cycle
- Exceptional writing and editing skills
You get bonus points for:
- Strong relationships with both local and national business, technology and transportation or mobility media contacts
- Experience working for a purpose-driven company with an outdoor or environmental focus
- Experience working with a D2C or omnichannel brand
- Experience in the transportation/mobility industry
Had you been with us last month, the top things you would have impacted are:
- Worked with the team to divide and conquer management of inbound inquiries with a wide range of press, including vetting the opportunity, providing a recommendation based on current resources and priorities and drafting proposed responses
- End-to-end management of executive interviews with top tier press (developed briefing materials, created talking points, prepared the spokesperson, managed follow-up, etc.)
- Played a key role in the planning, content development and execution of a press announcement for a major round of funding
- Developed content for press releases, messaging frameworks, pitches, etc.
- Kept a pulse on the industry and trends affecting the business and made appropriate recommendations regarding the media strategy surrounding them
- Provided executives with messaging for press interviews and/or content for social media in line with their thought leadership platform
- Proactively pitched stories about the brand and its leaders, commercial division, company announcements, and product to maintain a steady drumbeat of earned media coverage while also leveraging existing relationships and cultivating new contacts within business, technology and mobility industry media
- Additional duties & overtime as required