Expert Java Developer
15+ years experience •
Our expert java software engineers work within agile teams to plan and perform software development activities for a national level Master Data Management (MDM) solution that will process over 500,000+ transactions per day. Your contributions and leadership will be vital to providing a high quality, high-availability solution at the enterprise level for this customer.
You will analyze, develop and deploy custom MDM integrations for consuming applications maintaining or accessing centralized veteran data. You will perform complex analysis, design, development, testing, and debugging of computer software ranging from operating system architecture integration and software design to selection of computer systems, language, and/or equipment. Your activities will include designing, coding, and testing of systems using test driven development techniques.
In your role as an Expert Software Engineer, you will develop new systems and maintain operational programs and procedures, lead transformational initiatives, such as use of agile practices and migration to future software architectures, and establish project standards and processes. You will work with stakeholders and product owners to define software requirements. You will also mentor new and junior engineers.
You will work with our production operations team, development teams, program management, and our clients to lead and facilitate short term and long term actions to resolve defects and issues. And most importantly, you will help the team to identify longer term initiatives to reduce time to market and increase quality.
This is a challenging job that requires a top performer who is able to keep on point, communicate quickly and clearly with a large stakeholder group, and provide an organized and calm response to issues and problems.
You will have the opportunity to contribute on an individual basis, as well as demonstrate your strengths as a team player.
In the first thirty days, you will get to know the team, customer, and applications and with guidance will start making code updates.
Within the first 90 days, you will begin to peer review code and contribute to design patterns and coding standards, while being mentored by other senior leaders.
At the end of the six months, your contributions will ensure that we are improving code quality, reducing defects, managing development environments, resolving issues quickly, improving customer satisfaction scores, and improving our time to market.
Job Responsibilities and Duties:
As an Expert Java Software Engineer, you will
- Design, develop, and maintain code that meets requirements, is high quality, and performs efficiently and effectively to provide a great customer experience
- Incorporate standards and best practices, including performance, security, scalability, and maintainability
- Participate in an agile team to deliver the full lifecycle, including requirements, architecture, design, development, testing and deployment
- Troubleshoot development, deployment, and production problems across multiple environments – this is core capability
- Study the systems and components of our application to prepare for the next release
- Work with release engineers to understand impacts of branches and code merges
- Continually work towards making improvements in the development process.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- 14+ years of development experience
- 5+ years object oriented software design and development experience using Java
- Expert Spring developer (version 3.x, 4.x, 5.x)
- Strong SQL and data modeling, including experience working with ORM tools/frameworks, such as Hibernate (including a working knowledge of JPA 2.0)
- Expert experience producing and consuming SOAP based Web Services, desired experience in SoapUI
- Strong experience in a pure backend services based environment, with a complete graps of RESTful APIs and best practices – this is a core skill
- Experience with Cucumber-Gherkin framework for test automation.
- Experience with the Spring cloud Netflix and ELK (elasticsearch, Logstash Kibana)/EFK (elasticsearch, Fluentd, Kibana) stack preferred – Eureka, Zuul, Zipkin, Hystrix.
- Advanced knowledge of software development lifecycle
Desired Qualifications and Experience:
- Veteran preferred
- Experience with WebLogic Server 11g or higher
- Experience with Apache
- Practical experience working with build frameworks Maven (required) and Ant
- Previous experience with the Department of Veterans Affairs
- Agile team experience
Attributes for Success:
- Highly motivated, success oriented, organized and strong work ethic – must collaborate in a team environment effectively
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are a must – this is a core skill required
- Pride in the quality and efficiency of your work
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate cross-functional work teams toward task completion
- Demonstrated effective leadership and analytical skills
- This position is 100% remote but you must be able to commute to the Chantilly or Arlington, VA offices as needed.