Over the coming years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy are dramatically changing how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials are transforming the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology are producing sustainable and ethical food. Benchling’s mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this reality, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchling’s applications, platform, & analytics in their efforts to solve humanity's most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the world's most renowned research institutes.
As one of Benchling’s first Machine Learning (ML) engineers, you’ll join a rapidly growing, world-class engineering team, and help bootstrap ML capabilities for Benchling. You will enable use cases that range from scientific (predicting antibody efficacy from sequence efficacy, anomaly detection, recommending process development parameters based on historical study results), to operational (forecasting the speed and efficiency of various workflows and identifying predictors of success and failures, inventory optimization, demand forecasting), to user experience (search relevance, type-ahead search, recognizing text in scanned documents). You’ll serve as a key input and thought leader, and work closely with the product teams to deliver ML driven capabilities to our internal and external customers.
- Architect and build Benchling’s first Machine Learning applications, and be part of the team that incubates ML applications at Benchling
- Partner with applications teams to define the right interfaces, and help integrate ML models into the applications
- Identify and fill the gaps on the platform to enable ML applications at scale
- Drive build-vs-buy conversations for various components of the ML stack
- Monitor and tune ML models, and identify gaps in data and instrumentation needed for building the best ML models
- 8+ years of industry experience designing and building machine learning applications
- Strong communicator with both words and data - you understand what it takes to go from raw data to something a human understands
- Comfortable with complexity in the short term but can build towards simplicity in the long term
- Experience with machine learning techniques such as regression, classification, and clustering
- Experience with machine learning libraries such as scikit-learn, Spark ML Lib, TensorFlow, or others
- Comfortable with SQL and Python
- Pluses: Background in the life sciences domain
- Pluses: Experience with deep learning technologies
- Empower through information. We explain the “why” behind every decision, unless there are highly sensitive circumstances. We're honest about how we're doing, especially in difficult times. We believe that sharing information builds trust and enables better decision-making.
- Rely on tenacity. Hard work is one of the greatest factors to determine success and is fully under our control. We must make the most of every day by bringing the highest level of determination. Dreaming big is not enough.
- Raise the bar. Pushing ourselves and others to improve will be uncomfortable and at times result in failure. However, it's critical to our success. We're dedicated to creating a place where everyone feels challenged to improve.
- Build a lever. We choose to build tools and infrastructure that will help others make world-changing innovations. There's less glory in it, but in the words of Archimedes, "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world."
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Competitive compensation & equity package
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Monthly health & wellness stipend
- Weekly virtual social events, and annual company retreats
- *$1,000 work-from-home stipend
In following best practices and safety protocols, all Benchling employees are expected to work remotely until we are further advised that it is safe for employees to resume work in their respective office locations.
*To support remote work conditions, Benchling provides each employee a one-time stipend of $1,000 upon commencing employment, and additional discounted employee purchase plans for home-office equipment.