Wiss, Janney, Elstner, Associates, Inc. (WJE) is seeking a highly skilled and motivated Roofing and Waterproofing Consultant to work with new and existing buildings in the Chicago Loop office. Consultants should be self-starters, and be able to collaborate and lead efforts with a great team of professionals.
WJE is a global firm of engineers, architects, and materials scientists committed to helping solve, repair, and avoid problems in the built world. Since 1956, our appliedexperience from more than 125,000 projects and our state-of-the-art laboratory and testing facilities have made WJE a leader in providing innovative yet practical solutions to the clients we serve.
- 10 years in the industry and significant technical experience with some or all of the following materials and systems: low-slope roofing, steep-slope roofing, below grade waterproofing, plaza and terrace waterproofing, traffic coatings, and green roofs
- Deep knowledge of field investigation methods (including testing procedures and equipment) and scientific principles as they relate to roofing and waterproofing performance
- Desire and ability to mentor and develop junior staff and to share knowledge and experience with others in the organization
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to assemble technical work product (including drawings, specifications, and investigative reports)
Individuals will have full responsibility for projects including:
- Developing scopes of services
- Resolving technical issues on projects (including conducting investigations, performing peer reviews, designing repairs, and reviewing construction)
- Maintaining and developing client relationships
- Managing project teams, and producing high-quality technical work product.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This position requires visual acuity and listening ability. Individuals must have the dexterity to be able to operate office and field equipment such as computer, printer, fax, copier, telephone, voice mail system, and other office and field equipment. Requirements may also include:
- Ability to attend meetings at various office, field and construction sites
- Ability to perform inspections of buildings and other structures, both visually and with instruments
- Ability to lift and carry materials and equipment up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to perform work in the temperature extremes presented by work in the outdoors
- Ability to read construction drawings, diagrams, printed materials and computer screens
- Ability to record data clearly and write passages for reports, letters, etc.
- Ability to travel
- Ability to safely work at heights
- Ability to safely use and/or operate ladders, scaffolds, lifts and other access equipment
- Ability to understand and appreciate safety training specific to numerous workplace and construction hazards
- Ability to safely work in a variety of occupationally hazardous locations
- Medically fit to utilize respiratory protection devices and other forms of Personal Protective Equipment
- Ability to drive and safely operate a motor vehicle