What you'll do:
U.S. Insurance Solutions Disability Income is looking for a savvy experienced Data Engineer who will bring unique perspectives, insight and innovation around data to our agile focused teams. The ideal candidate is an experienced data pipeline builder and data wrangler who enjoys optimizing data systems and building them from the ground up. You will support our analytic communities, architecture, software developers, and data analysts on data initiatives as we strive to up-lift the overall data literacy of our organization.
You will be accountable to
- Ensure optimal data delivery architecture is consistent throughout ongoing deliverables
- Help establish plans to operationalize highly scalable and reliable data pipelines
- Handle large datasets, both clean and un-clean, and work with teammates to build technical solutions that are scalable, fast, maintainable and reusable
- Understand and aid in implementation of database requirements, troubleshoot issues, analyze and optimize performance
- Leading and mentoring other team members in best data practices, standardization, and procedures
- Advocate for development processes ensuring data quality and integrity
We are looking for someone who
- Is self-directed and comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems and products
- Prefers collaboration over isolation
- Seeks to research, maintain and evaluate emerging data engineering and warehousing technologies and solutions for continuous improvements to solve business problems.
- Is passionate about driving strong data protection practices
What you'll get from us:
- Competitive pay, benefits, perks and more. We'll reward you for the skills and experience you bring to the table. Find out more.
- A great place to live, work and play. Greater Des Moines is one of the fastest-growing metro areas in the country. Given its vibrant and welcoming culture, it's no wonder Des Moines has garnered so much national recognition—including #1 Best Affordable Place to Live (U.S. News & World Report, 2017).
- Respect for your unique perspective. Diversity, inclusion and empowerment are at the core of our culture.
- A career, not just a job. Principal is a place where you can learn and innovate. Do important work. Make an impact. And achieve your professional goals.
- The ability to have a great job and a great life. Sure, work is important. But so is your family. And your friends. And your community. That's why we provide the flexibility you need to find the right balance between your job and the rest of your life.
Associate's or Bachelor's degree in a science, technology, engineering, or math related field or equivalent work experience (6 years of experience equates to an Associate's degree when defining "equivalent work experience")
- 5+ years of IT experience
- 4+ years of experience in data movement and analysis
- Data Engineer, or similar experience
- Experience working with an Agile/Lean mindset
- Preference will be given to candidates who have a strong Software Development/Engineering or Data Architecture background
Additional preferred technical experience:
- Cloud computing (Azure), data movement and analysis
- Levels of Experience with Data movement (ETL/ELT), Database design (Azure SQL, SQL Server), Data processing and analysis (SAS, EG), Data Visualization (MS Power BI) and Data Virtualization (Denoto)
- Familiarity with a variety of Data formats and Data stores
- Brings strong practices with Data Protection, and Data Governance concepts
- Experience with Data architecture, modeling, storage, mapping, transformation, quality, utilization, and analytics
Keys to success in this position:
- Strong communication skills and work ethic
- Servant Leadership
- Ability to turn concept into action and challenge the status quo
- Desire to continuously improve
- Aptitude for solving problems using resources available
- Good Time Management skills.