About the Role:
Dotdash is seeking a proven leader to join its growing video team as Executive Producer. The Executive Producer will be a strategic and creative force overseeing producers and a high-volume of short-form instructional video primarily in the Home, Beauty, Family verticals. The Executive Producer will be responsible for optimizing production, developing new production methods and formats, and guiding producers to bring great ideas to life in ways that are on-brand, connect with strategy, and efficiently utilize resources. This position requires a refined understanding of the unique challenges and opportunities of digital video production; proven knowledge of high-volume production workflows in the publishing space; a deep understanding and interest in digital publishing platforms (O&Os, Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, etc); established leadership and decision-making skills; and the ability to oversee junior team members in a dynamic and fast-paced environment. Reporting to the VP of Video, the Executive Producer will shift seamlessly from the tactical to the strategic, from overseeing budgets to making creative decisions, across many projects at once. We’re looking for a resourceful video professional who enjoys collaboration and possesses stellar instincts. The ideal candidate will have worked their way up touching all aspects of digital video creation in the digital publishing space and can work quickly to understand our processes and establish trust and expertise on a small but growing team.
About Your Contributions:
- Starting in the development phase, work with Editorial and SEO/Growth teams to identify, review, and track 1000s of articles/written content to move into video production. Work with and oversee producers to organize and build video formats and production systems around batches of these articles.
- Work with staff and freelancers (Sr Producers, Producers, Editors, Writers, Coordinators etc) to hit ambitious output targets and to produce excellent creative work across many diverse brands. Assign projects and manage bandwidth of producers. Shepherd projects through all phases of production including development, pre-production, production/shooting, post-production, finishing/delivery. Manage daily high-volume operations.
- Liaise and collaborate with internal stakeholders (Editorial, Social, Marketing teams) to guide production that is on-brand, accurate, and meets KPIs. Collaborate with producers at the earliest conceptual stages to ensure the best creative and production approaches are being used. Establish relationships with stakeholders and ensure they are consulted as needed throughout, while moving the process along efficiently.
- Working closely with our Senior Manager of Production, ensure video producers are on track to meet publishing commitments. Troubleshoot blockers and quickly course correct as needed.
- Review a wide variety of creative decisions (scripts, cast, locations, graphics, etc) providing insight and strategic guidance. Review videos and give detailed feedback on edits. From the opening second to the bumper, ensure videos meet standards.
- Contribute strategic vision that improves processes, refines aesthetics, and delivers outstanding videos on budget and on time. Advocate for and implement changes that make our work better and more efficient. Have ownership over the final product and be driven to do more with less.
- Manage and mentor video team members.
- Exceptional understanding of and experience in everything that goes into making high-volume short-form video for digital publishers and platforms. Experience with instructional video formats in Home, Beauty, Food, and/or DIY categories.
- Proven experience managing producers and productions in all stages of the production cycle and experience collaborating with and coalescing many creative voices.
- Contemporary design/edit sensibility in terms of video pacing, music, graphics and text. Knowledge of web video trends and popular digital publishers. A demonstrable interest in innovation both in terms of content and process.
- Experience with high-volume production. Proven ability to get up to speed quickly, shift gears, wear multiple hats, and juggle many productions with ease and grace.
- Familiarity with working with digital video budgets and constraints; a master of doing more with less.
- Flawless organizational skills and exceptional attention to detail. Foresee complications, make quick confident decisions, and troubleshoot on the fly.
- Extensive experience reviewing videos and guiding and giving the final sign-off on creative decisions.
- Stellar communication and presentation skills.
- 8-12 years experience in digital video publishing.