Executive Producer, The Takeaway
New York Public Radio is looking for an inspiring, ambitious journalist and a thoughtful, experienced manager to lead its daily national news and conversation show, The Takeaway. The Executive Producer oversees the show’s journalism, production, team, and strategy. They guide it each day to serve millions of listeners across the country, and articulate and execute a long-term strategy to continually deepen the show’s journalism and expand its reach.
Carried on more than 300 public radio stations across the country and listened to by thousands more on digital platforms, The Takeaway offers a unique and essential take on the day's news. With thoughtful analysis and ranging conversations, it focuses on the impact of world events on people’s lives, and prioritizes the diverse experiences and stories of people too often overlooked by other national media.
The successful candidate has great journalistic judgment, a deep understanding of the editorial and production needs of a daily broadcast, and the ability to simultaneously lead a team, collaborate closely with other departments at New York Public Radio and the show’s co-producing partner PRX in service of the show’s goals, and manage external partners and feedback.
- In partnership with Host and Managing Editor, Melissa Harris-Perry, articulate and evolve a long-term editorial vision for the show that connects with audiences across the country.
- Establish, oversee, and adjust the editorial and production processes necessary to execute that vision sustainably, on a daily basis, at the highest possible level.
- Make both daily and long-term editorial decisions about story selection, editorial approach, booking, and show format.
- Provide coaching, feedback, and development to the show team to establish a team culture of excellence, inclusion, and accountability.
- Develop and maintain team structure, and job expectations necessary to deliver on the show’s editorial, operational, distribution and audience goals.
- Build a diverse and inclusive team by recruiting, hiring, and retaining the talent needed in each role to execute on the show’s vision.
- Work w/ NYPR and PRX leadership to set an annual budget, and manage that budget effectively.
- Partner with NYPR and PRX leadership to set regular journalistic, operational, distribution and audience goals and the key initiatives that will lead to them being accomplished.
- Work in close partnership with both NYPR and PRX to engage both station leaders who carry the show and those who might in order to increase distribution for the show.
- Work in close partnership with Audience and Marketing teams at both NYPR and PRX to set and execute a podcast strategy that grows the show’s digital listening.
- In partnership with the rest of show leadership, design and execute key special projects that deepen the show’s journalism and can be supported by internal marketing and fundraising partners.
- In partnership with revenue leaders at both NYPR and PRX, ensure that the show is operating sustainably and expanding the resources available to support its work.
- Participate on both WNYC and WNYC Studios leadership team, supporting and learning from other showrunners and editorial leaders within the organization.
- As an organizational leader, foster a culture of journalistic ambition, audio craft, inclusion, and accountability.
The Takeaway seeks to serve the broad diversity of America with empathy, rigor, and joy. If you are passionate about public media, the show and its mission, and the organization’s approach to journalism resonates with you, we want to hear from you!
- At least 7 years of experience in a senior role leading and producing a daily news show.
- At least 5 years of effectively building and managing a team producing high quality journalism.
- Experience managing a department budget.
- Demonstrated success in daily journalism.
- Experience producing journalism that engages audiences in multiple platforms.
- Working knowledge of standard broadcast values and production protocols.
- A love of daily new challenges, and the ability to thrive in a quickly-changing environment.
- An understanding of and dedication to the values of public media, .
- An understanding of the national media environment, industry trends, and audience consumption patterns.
- The ability to make challenging journalistic decisions quickly.
- A dedication to the complex, important work of finding truth and the humility and discipline to do it well.
- A desire to identify and solve problems or grasp opportunities proactively.
- A love of collaborative work, and the ability to collaborate productively with people of diverse backgrounds and expertise.
- The ability to think, speak, and write clearly about journalism and media strategy.
- An understanding of, and dedication to, the hard work of people and systems management.
Additional Role Information
This is a full-time role with competitive compensation and eligibility for full benefits including excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance, and generous paid time off including holidays, vacation, personal time, sick time and parental leave.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this role can be temporarily performed remotely depending upon the preference of the new employee. However, this position is not a permanent remote position and is part of the New York City staff, and may be expected to work fully from the New York office sometime soon.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
New York Public Radio is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We continuously strive to place our employees at the center of our thinking and elevate inclusive practices to develop and support a more engaged and productive workforce. Our journalism and operations in the service of that journalism benefit from a broad range of perspectives, from all backgrounds, at all levels of the organization. Diversity is essential to honest, authentic, accurate storytelling and reportage; creating an institution in which all voices are encouraged, valued, and heard.