Business Unit Description
AARP is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization, with a membership of nearly 38 million that helps people turn their goals and dreams into 'Real Possibilities' by changing the way America defines aging. With staffed offices in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, AARP works to strengthen communities and promote the issues that matter most to families such as healthcare security, financialsecurity and personal fulfillment. AARP also advocates for individuals in the marketplace by selecting products and services of high quality and value to carry the AARP name. As a trusted source for news and information, AARP produces the world’s largest circulation magazine, AARP The Magazine and AARP Bulletin.
Integrated Communications & Marketing (ICM) is a multimedia, service-focused communications and marketing operation that leads in shaping the impression of AARP by providing communications planning, marketing, support and execution for AARP’s strategic business units.
Collaborates with various AARP entities and business units and leads the development, creation, and maintenance of authoritative core content for digital platforms on topics of interest to the 50+ demographic.
- Directs the development and creation of core content inventory, as well as implements a strategy to regularly update and revise core content, as necessary.
- Oversees, guides, edits ,and manages the work of contract producers and freelancers to create substantive and authoritative core content for our 50+ demographic that can be used on appropriate platforms or cross platform.
- Leads the core content team of contracted talent and continually develops and cultivates them to be enthusiastic, highly motivated, and creative.
- Ensures the quality, integrity, and authority of core content and its appropriateness for designated content platform, with special awareness of design and online needs.
- Builds and maintains constructive and productive partnerships with AARP priority channels to keep abreast of new initiatives, programs, and research.
- Collaborates with appropriate staff to ensure content adheres to best practices, enhances the user experience, and is presented in innovative ways with an eye toward emerging technologies.
- Develops an effective ongoing recruitment of a pool of experienced freelance writers and editors.
- Works collaboratively with groups/department/staff/management and the issue strategy team to ensure overall core content strategy reflects AARP’s social mission.
- Completion of a Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, Communications, or a related discipline and 10+ years of magazine, newspaper, and digitalexperience, including 8+ years of media management experience.
- Excellent editorial judgment.
- Collaborative personality and work style.
- Strong background in journalism --- writing, editing, verbal, analytical, project management, and presentation skills -- and a proven record of developing stories and storytelling, as well as experience in writing or editing consumer news.
- Exceptional attention to detail and ability to prioritize and multi-task, while driving results.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision while contributing to the organization’s goals and objectives.