This position leads a range of strategy development, performance management, project management, consulting, and analytical services to provide an integrated long-range, planning and consulting capability for KPGA. It exists to establish a clear customer focus for these capabilities and to establish in-depth expertise in external competitive marketplace issues for short and long range planning purposes. This planning expertise and capability will address the broad range of environmental factors including social, political, economic, and consumer trends and issues affecting health care. The role has responsibility for business and capital planning, including producing business plans; management consulting for a broad range of operational and strategic management; strategy development; and performance management information and analysis. The role requires close coordination with the wide range of other analytical and support capabilities serving KPGA, including but not limited to: Marketing, Sales and Business Development (competitive analysis and rate setting functions), Facilities, Operations, Financial Planning, and People (Human Resources). The incumbent will serve as a member of the KPGA leadership team and fill a key leadership role in numerous regional, joint governance bodies. This position consistently supports compliance and the Principles of Responsibility (Kaiser Permanente-s Code of Conduct) by maintaining the privacy and confidentiality of information, protecting the assets of the organization, acting with ethics and integrity, reporting non-compliance, and adhering to applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations, accreditation and licensing requirements (if applicable), and Kaiser Permanente-s policies and procedures.
- The Executive Director, Strategic Planning will focus on the following major strategic areas: Strategic Planning and Operational Planning: Facilitate strategic discussions between both the Health Plan and Medical Group leaders. Operate as a key member of the Region-s leadership team, facilitating the dialogue and decision processes associated with strategy development and implementation approaches.
- Maintain a strategic/business planning and consulting infrastructure to provide expert internal and external data and analysis to facilitate and structure decision-making.
- Develop and maintain a strategic and operational planning process that ensures timely updates to the Region-s strategy, maintains alignment between the strategic plan and operational plans, monitors the execution of strategy and key initiatives, and facilitates alignment across the organization.
- Effectively coordinate with various planning processes (including rate-setting, capital planning, IT, forecasting, and budgeting) in order to align the overarching Regional strategy, membership growth strategy, product strategy, and delivery system strategy.
- Facilitate frequent assessments of regional performance, relying on appropriate, reasonable, and timely performance data and reporting mechanisms.
Capital Planning and Implementation
- Lead development of Region-s capital plan in collaboration with key stakeholders, to ensure KP is using member-s resources effectively and positioning the Region for long-term success.
- Work closely with the Senior Vice President, National Delivery System Strategy, and Vice President, Delivery System Strategy in concert with National Facilities Services to leverage capital and delivery system planning capabilities across the program for the benefit of the Georgia Region.
- Develop and maintain robust capital planning capability.
- Participate in prioritizing capital spending, and oversee business case development and presentation.
- Develop facilities strategy to ensure capital plan is aligned with Region-s strategy; ensure appropriate returns on investment through development of sound business cases.
- Build strong, collaborative partnerships with Regional operations, TSPMG, finance and planning, Human Resources, Labor and other groups (within the Region and across the Program) to effectively communicate, advocate and support capital plans.
- Provide leadership to internal consulting efforts aimed at identifying and implementing solutions to complex organizational problems, building collaboration across the project teams. Focus of these internal consulting efforts would be projects in health plan administration/operations and in projects that encompass both the health plan and the delivery system.
- Provide leadership to project management efforts aimed at implementing complex, cross-functional changes, building collaboration across project teams.
- Provide overall leadership of performance management process, communicating with senior leadership regarding organizational performance results and identifying performance areas that are not achieving targeted performance levels.
- Ensure that appropriate information is developed and disseminated regarding key performance indicators and select initiatives.
- Develop the appropriate information databases, performance reports, and analytic support to measure progress against business goals.
- Monitor business performance against agreed upon objectives and benchmarks.
- Support leaders of functional areas in developing initiatives and activities to address performance measures that are not on track.
- Build a planning team with the skills and talent needed to provide high-caliber, professional, customer-focused services across the planning, consulting, project management and performance management continuum.
- Develop a high-performance analytical team through effective recruiting, mentoring and coaching; and foster partnership and influence in driving regional performance outcomes.
- Develop individuals to succeed in their current roles and prepare them for future roles.
- Leverage enterprise talent development capabilities.
- Minimum ten (10) years of experience in strategy, planning, or operations, with at least five (5) years in health care.
- Bachelor-s degree in finance, business, economics, or a related field OR four (4) years of experience in a directly related field.
- High School Diploma OR General Education Development (GED) required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Ideal background would also include experience in consulting, communications and finance.
- Demonstrated expertise as a strategic leader, including but not limited to:
- Excellent strategic and systems-thinking skills.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Strong communication and facilitation skills to ensure leaders hold appropriate conversations.
- Proven capability to motivate change through synthesis and interpretation of data.
- Strong results orientation.
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities, including but not limited to:
- Developing dynamic, constructive working relationships and partnerships with operational, physician and labor partners.
- Willingness to challenge the -status quo.-
- Excellent interpersonal skills (e.g., listening and communication skills) characterized by effective interactions with a diverse range of internal and external constituents, stakeholders and audiences.
- Demonstrated political savvy - Able to operate and remain effective in politically complex and challenging situations.
- Ability to negotiate effectively in a manner that achieves desired outcomes and promotes strong partnerships.
- Incumbent should also possess an open, collaborative leadership style that promotes integrity, teamwork and partnership while achieving desired results.
- Decisiveness, action-orientation, capability to persevere in difficult situations, and a focus on strategic leadership issues highly desired.
Job Number: 626333