Executive Director, Search and Evaluation, Immuno - Oncology Lead
This is a Global Search and Evaluation role on the External Science & Innovation (ES&I) team focused on Immuno Oncology. The position will support the identification and execution of external partnering and licensing opportunities for Pfizer’s Immuno-Oncology Programs.
This role will embody the San Francisco - based function of Director – Executive Director, Immuno-Oncology Lead within the Department of External Science & Innovation. Areas of focus include early technology and target identification stage programs through phase II clinical trial assets within the field of Immuno-Oncology. The ideal candidate will thrive on the opportunity to initiate and lead innovative collaborative programs in a dynamic environment applying a highly externalized and virtual approach. An essential aspect of this role is to represent Pfizer at external networking meetings and scientific conferences to present our vision and to respond to opportunities in Immuno-Oncology.
External Science & Innovation is a mechanism to connect Pfizer with leading external scientists within the academic research and biotech communities. ES&I will be run by a high profile R&D team working closely with key internal R&D stakeholders. The goal is to create and draw on global innovative expertise and opportunities in both the biotech and academic space to strengthen Pfizer's R&D pipeline via strategic integration of select collaborations and licensing opportunities ensuring continued leadership in novel drug discovery.
This position will be essential in providing a competitive advantage to Pfizer by pursuing and integrating products, programs, or technologies addressing diverse opportunities in the External R&D portfolio built via external collaborations/partnerships.
- Key responsibility is to be the primary point of contact for the Rinat CSO for all External Science and Innovation activities
- Work with Oncology ES&I, scientific, and management teams to develop and execute on portfolio strategy
- Proactive leadership in identifying external asset and platform technology opportunities to address portfolio and strategic needs
- Lead matrix teams including members of Oncology Research Unit (ORD), scientific team, partner lines, and Business Development (BD) to evaluate and advance consideration of external opportunities for funding
- Work with BD and legal colleagues to advance deals through the internal approval process and execute opportunity transactions
- Work with ES&I colleagues to support identification of cross therapeutic area and partner line external opportunities
- The incumbent will also support and align with Pfizer R&D Innovative Strategic Investments and Pfizer Business Development
- Strong scientific background/experience in immunology (tumor immunology a plus), Ph.D or equivalent required
- Extensive experience (>10 years in industry) leading successful Immunology focused drug discovery and development projects; Immuno-Oncology experience is a strong plus
- A broad practical experience across drug R&D activities is a requirement
- Experience/exposure to scientific due diligence, partnering, licensing, or alliance management is preferred
- Candidate must be comfortable wearing multiple hats with an entrepreneurial mindset (problem solver with an ‘own it’ attitude)
- Demonstrated ability to influence matrix teams and key decision makers to rapidly and efficiently review, progress, or terminate external opportunity evaluations
- Demonstrated executive presence that effectively engages the diverse array of senior WRD stakeholders, including WRD LT members, in an evolving thought partnership
- Demonstrated ability to consistently “close” to a successful outcome on complex projects and tasks that have visibility to senior management
- Demonstrated independent leadership of cross-WRD strategic and/or technology projects, including (1) identification and framing of core issues, (2) effective interviewing of diverse stakeholders, (3) analytical synthesis of broad input to address the core issues, and (4) effective stakeholder management and presentation skills to senior R&D executives
- Strong qualitative and quantitative analytical skills to prioritize issues, generate critical insights and formulate strategic recommendations
- Demonstrated learning agility, ability to work under pressure and tight timelines, and sense of urgency. Must be broadly creative, seek innovative solutions, and exhibit crisp and clear decision making
- Demonstrated ability to succeed in ambiguous or rapidly evolving situations, and in a constantly changing environment
- Demonstrated broad knowledge of biopharmaceutical industry, and on-going trends in science and technology