The Executive Director of Professional Education represents a top leadership position within the School of Engineering & Applied Science (SEAS). The position is responsible for the full-time and part-time Sever Institute Master’s degrees and the short-course/non-degree training housed in the Technology & Leadership Center. This position will provide strategic direction, operational and financial oversight of the department to provide growth in markets, revenue, and development of staff/faculty.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Strategic Leadership
- Reporting to the Dean of the School of Engineering, the position leads all activities of the Professional Education department Master’s programs and non-credit offerings within SEAS and develops and implements the strategic direction for the organization. The position works at the executive level with university administrators, deans, academic leaders, faculty members, and staff, as well as local, regional, national and international organizations to elevate the reputation and opportunities for the department. The strategic direction of the department should include plans that align with the SEAS strategic plan/vision/mission and leverage key assets and unique strengths of the University/School in order to differentiate our programs from others available both locally & nationally.
- Financial Management and Operational Administration
- This position has full responsibility for the P&L of the department. All decisions should be made in consideration of the efficiency and effectiveness of delivering degree coursework and training, and adherence to University and SEAS policies. Key performance indicators should be developed and monitored in conjunction with the established strategic direction of the department. Ensure policies and processes are in-place to identify, recruit, and adequately support the staff responsible for carrying out the mission of the department.
- Academic Administration
- This position will be responsible for understanding the needs of corporate/institutional/internal customers and individual students and developing curriculum and training that addresses current marketplace demands. Responsible to manage Program Directors to develop, offer, and maintain degree programs and coursework that is marketable, of high-quality, and consistent throughout all programs. This position should oversee periodic curriculum refreshes by monitoring current industry/technology trends and through student feedback. Ensure policies and processes are in-place to identify, recruit, and adequately support faculty and instructors.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The ability to frequently travel to on and off-campus locations, including international travel, will be required.
A Master’s degree from an accredited institution plus 7-10 years of related experience in a professional or continuing education environment including:
- Experience in educational methods particularly suited to working adults and professional audiences.
- History of visionary leadership aimed at educational and technological trends, and return on investment in masters, professional and continuing education programs.
- Demonstrated achievement in leadership and management of human resources, financial management, strategic planning and working within the complexities of a major university.
- Demonstrated abilities to lead the development of academic programs.
- Experience with marketing programs and techniques, with particular emphasis on the use of social media.
- Experience in various academic delivery models to better serve students and to expand our geographic footprint/appeal – including consideration of on-line/hybrid courses and offerings.
- ability to frequently travel to on and off-campus locations, including international travel.
- A Ph.D. from an accredited institution plus 3 years of related experience in a professional or continuing education environment
- Experience in an information technology, engineering, or applied science environment.
- Sales and customer service experience a plus.
- Recent industry, academic and management experience in the areas of information technology, cybersecurity engineering management, project management or core areas of engineering, such as electrical, biomedical, environmental, and mechanical.
- Track record of strong decision-making skills and proven ability to execute plans.
- Skilled in human relations and a proven ability to work effectively with a diverse population, with academics and with professionals in industry.
- Proven ability to develop a positive rapport with adult students currently employed in professional environments, corporate management, academic school and university level leadership.
- Ability to hire and motivate staff to maintain the highest standards of performance for themselves and students.
- Strong written and oral communication skills. Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to comfortably and dynamically speak to large groups.
Base salary is commensurate with experience.