The Executive Director of Commuter Rail (Executive Director) will be responsible for complete oversight and contract administration of the commuter rail service for the MBTA. This includes the management of the MBTA's current $2.6 billion, 8-year commuter rail contract and internal staff. The current $400 million annual contract governs daily operations across 14 commuter rail lines which span 388 miles of track and 138 stations. 35 million customers ride the service annually with nearly 130,000 daily boardings. The current contract also governs maintenance of the rail road assets and rolling stock. The contractor currently operates 90 locomotives and 410 coaches in 3 maintenance facilities and 14 layover/storage facilities which are owned by the MBTA. In addition, the Executive Director will oversee the $1.4 billion dollar capital investment program including positive train control implementation.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Full contract oversight for the Authority's commuter rail operator including but not limited to monitoring customer satisfaction, on-time performance, fleet availability, and system and vehicle maintenance.
- Development of short and long-term strategies for annual operating cost containment, revenue growth, capital investment, contract structures, and system capacity.
- Coordinates and presents with the GM/CEO and Chief Operating Officer (COO) to the Fiscal and Management Control Board (FMCB), Legislators, regulatory agencies and other stakeholder groups.
- The Executive Director will oversee the management of contract and MBTA staff that work in railroad operations.
- A Bachelor's Degree in engineering, business administration, public administration, facilities management or a related field from an accredited institution.
- Must have a minimum of seven (7) years of executive level experience in a large transportation agency, with a strong railroad operating experience that includes planning, construction, engineering, mechanical and transportation functions and responsibilities.
- Must have a minimum of three (3) years of experience in professional contract management.
- Three (3) years of supervisory experience managing a major professional engineering and/or maintenance program including responsibility for budget development, supervision of multiple bargaining units, and policy development and/or enforcement.
- Effective organizational, analytical, confidentiality, quantitative, writing, multi-tasking and time management skills;
- Proficient with the use of MS Office.
- Ability to pass a Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) check, background screening, and the MBTA's medical requirements, including a physical examination and drug and alcohol screening.
- Effectively communicate with customers, employees, vendors, contractors, designers, public legislators, and state and federal agencies.
- Have excellent customer service, conflict resolution, negotiation, communication skills.
- Be available to work twenty-four (24) hours per day, seven (7) days per week and all shifts and/or locations assigned or directed.
- Have the ability to work effectively with a diverse workforce.
- Ten (10) years of executive level experience in a large transportation agency, with a strong railroad operating experience that includes planning, construction, engineering, mechanical and transportation functions and responsibilities.
- Five (5) years of experience in professional contract management.