The Executive Director of New Product Planning reports directly to the VP of Marketing and is responsible for leading development of commercial strategy for the portfolio of development stage assets from Seres Therapeutics, the leading microbiome company. With an initial focus on the Ulcerative Colitis Franchise, the remit of the role includes but may not be limited to: providing leadership and direction of commercial strategies; ensuring development plans build to a robust differentiated label and reimbursable file; partnering with program teams in assessment of data generation and label expansion plans in support of enhancing commercial value.
As a member of the Commercial Leadership Team, this position will work across the organization to ensure external stakeholder perspectives are reflected in key deliverables and decisions supporting commercialization plans and clinical development.
Seres Therapeutics, Inc., (Nasdaq: MCRB) is a leading microbiome therapeutics platform company developing a novel class of multifunctional bacterial consortia that are designed to functionally interact with host cells and tissues to treat disease. Seres’ SER-109 program achieved the first-ever positive pivotal clinical results for a targeted microbiome drug candidate and has obtained Breakthrough Therapy and Orphan Drug designations from the FDA. The SER-109 program is being advanced for the treatment of recurrent C. difficile infection and has potential to become a first-in-class FDA-approved microbiome therapeutic. Seres’ SER-287 program has obtained Fast Track and Orphan Drug designations from the FDA and is being evaluated in a Phase 2b study in patients with active mild-to-moderate ulcerative colitis. Seres is developing SER-401 in a Phase 1b study in patients with metastatic melanoma, SER-301 for ulcerative colitis and SER-155 to prevent mortality due to gastrointestinal infections, bacteremia and graft versus host disease.
Seres Therapeutics is a member of the Flagship Pioneering family of companies, affording this individual broad exposure and access to other industry leaders in the Flagship fold.
Seres and the role are based in Cambridge, MA.
- Lead commercial planning for the pipeline products, with an initial focus on the UC franchise, including market and opportunity assessments to inform target product profile development and evolution
- Evaluate the market landscape, monitor changes, identify market dynamic trends and incorporate competitive intelligence
- Develop commercial assessments based upon unmet medical need, competitive landscapes, patient flow/pathways and players/drivers in the value chain
- Work with Market Access and HEOR colleagues to form initial pricing options and strategies for value demonstration and achievement of reimbursable file
- Lead development of early branding work, including: initial positioning, brand personality, tradename, and packaging
- Work cross functionally to enhance opportunity knowledge and support product demand forecasts, scenario assumptions and supply chain planning
- Serve as commercial representative to program teams. Work in close cross-functional collaboration with clinical development, regulatory, corporate strategy, commercial and other functions
- Drive development of asset market insight plans in collaboration with project teams, market research, and competitive intelligence; plan and execute advisory boards
- Establish strong KOL relationships in collaboration with Medical and R&D
- Point of liaison for current and potential future external partners (e.g. with ex-North American partner Nestle Health Sciences for SER-287 and SER-301) to integrate commercial strategy, where appropriate for partnered assets
- Attract, develop, and retain potential staff members; inspire and elevate capabilities of others
- Bachelor’s degree in business, science or related field. A master’s degree (MBA) strongly preferred
- 10+ Years of previous biopharmaceutical commercial experience in new product planning, brand marketing for launch and/or in-line products, market access or other commercial functions; some healthcare consulting experience highly preferred
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and to assess long term implications of near term decisions and align and engage both internal and external stakeholders to drive performance
- Ability to work collaboratively with cross-functional teams, synthesizing diverse perspectives into cohesive, aligned recommendation/deliverables, managing dissension along the way and championing team recommendations
- An approachable and credible communication style, both verbally and written, to keep all levels of the organization informed and engaged
- Experience in delivering complex messages to various internal and external customers with a track record of effective and influential presentations
- Ability to understand the science and data; be effective at leveraging analytics and leading within a science-driven commercial mode
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to drive toward alignment and ability to work well with others and manage work with counterpart(s)
- Exceptional persuasive written/verbal communication and presentation skills. Willingness to present the facts and put forth hypotheses in the face of differing opinions. Ability to build a logical story flow
- Fit with Seres culture and values, especially encouraging candidates with diverse backgrounds and those who are inclined to listen as much as they are to decide/lead. Seres is a highly collaborative environment and, therefore, consensus building will be a critical skill to ensure success in this role