Legal Aid Society of Middle Tennessee & the Cumberlands (LAS), based in Nashville Tennessee seeks an energetic, engaged and visionary Executive Director. Founded in 1968, the Legal Aid Society is a private, not-for-profit organization governed by a local board of directors comprised of attorneys and members of our client population. Legal Aid Society provides free legal assistance in civil matters in 48 Tennessee counties with a total eligible population of 440,000 serving primarily rural populations. We have offices in Clarksville, Columbia, Cookeville, Gallatin, Murfreesboro, Nashville, Oak Ridge, and Tullahoma with more than 80 employees.
Professionally, LAS seeks an experienced leader who is passionate about its mission to provide equal access to justice under the law. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated leadership experience in the legal arena, preferably in a legal aid program. Experience to include supervising staff, working with a Board of Directors, raising funds for operations, supporting the practice group model, managing a medium-sized nonprofit organization, complying with federal and state grant regulations, including experience with the Legal Services Corporation.
· Must have practiced law preferably with a civil legal aid program
· Working knowledge of nonprofit fiscal management, including fund accounting and budgeting and a track record for being fiscally responsible
· Demonstrated ability in public speaking, written and oral communication, and outstanding interpersonal relations
· Experience in fund raising and grant writing
· Strong negotiation skills
· Must complying with federal and state employment laws and federal and state grant regulations
· Values diversity and be culturally competent
Be a successful leader and manager inside an organization and in the community, preferably with a legal aid program