The Executive Director is the principal organizational leader of Our Towns Habitat for Humanity Affiliate who plans, develops and communicates the strategic plan of OTH. The Executive Director represents OTH within the local community, promoting the mission of the organization, fundraising and overseeing the performance of Our Towns Habitat for Humanity in accordance with the Board of Directors.
- Prepares the annual budget with the Director of Operations, Controller and all Department Heads.
- Is responsible for the overall finances and fiscal controls.
- Implements a Resource Development Strategy for fund development, donor retention and recognition in conjunction with the Development Director.
- Is responsible for fund raising activities to ensure that the Affiliate has the resources needed to support its budget and strategic plan initiatives.
- Manages Board of Director’s member and committee nominations. Supports activities of Board of Director’s committees.
- Prepare, set agenda and facilitates Board of Director monthly and annual meetings.
- Recommends to the Board changes to Affiliate policies and procedures for effective and economical operation and implements those changes within the Affiliate.
- Carries chief responsibility and ensures that legal obligations of the Affiliate are met in a timely manner and in accordance with applicable laws and Habitat for Humanity International standards.
HFHI, Public and Community Relations:
- Interprets the function of OTH to the community through direct involvement and public relations including personal contact, literature and the media.
- Represents the Affiliate in the community and serves as Affiliate liaison with other community, professional and social service organizations.
- Develops and maintains appropriate relationships with local coalitions, funding sources, supporters and donors including religious and corporate organizations; federal, state and local government units; other agencies whose mission is to provide affordable and decent housing.
- Provides positive visibility of Our Towns Habitat for Humanity in the community.
- Build partnerships with sponsors, donors, encouraging volunteering and contribution of resources.
- Absorb special projects, including representing and presenting at statewide Habitat for Humanity conferences.
- Leads and develops the Development department and the Director of Operations by providing clarity around roles and responsibilities of staff, develop consistent and rigorous standards for accountability and measurements of success.
- Stay informed of donation and grant statuses and advises as needed through weekly meetings with the Development Director.
- Coordinate with the Development Director on capital campaigns and ensure that all activities are carried out appropriately and within the guidelines of the campaign.
- Conduct regularly scheduled staff meetings and one-on-one meetings with direct reports to ensure initiatives are adequately communicated internally and affiliate goals are being met.
- Carefully assess, evaluate and organize Affiliate activities, create and implement policies to build more efficient workflow systems.
- Strengthen internal communications among staff, volunteers, donors and constituents at all levels throughout the organization.
- Together with leadership team, staff and board members create the strategic five-year plan and implement new processes and approaches to achieve it. Maintain the strategic plan as a living document and ensure that departmental goals are integrated with plan.
- Fully participate in the recruitment, interviewing and hiring process of all future employees in the above-mentioned Departments. Also work with the HR resources to develop training and other development opportunities in order to grow and retain talent.
- Foster teamwork and a positive work environment, through modeling, a positive and respectful work environment. Offers ongoing feedback and issues employee performance evaluations.
- Construction and Repairs
- Provide vision and guidance to create the look and design qualities of the neighborhood. Determine the overall character of the neighborhood related to the housing project, specs, paint colors and overall continuity of the community.
- Adapt to the real estate agents, architectural firms, and other community leaders to utilize the opportunities available through them to create a community that compliments the existing community and moves forward the standards of affordable housing.
- Visionary of what to try next related to determining the plans for future neighborhoods.
- Commitment to the mission and values of Our Towns Habitat for Humanity.
- Relationship building skills and ability to collaborate effectively in a team environment.
- Strong attention to detail, accuracy and dependability.
- Effective interpersonal skills with excellent written and verbal skills.
- Ability to handle confidential information appropriately.
- Prefer at least 5years’ experience working in a management capacity, ideally with a non-profit organization.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or university program certificate required.
- Effective verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills including experience presenting.
- Ability to identify and resolve problems; ability to rectify conflicts.
- Demonstrated experience as an effective leader with managerial skills.
- Ability to establish, foster and maintain effective working relationships with the Board of Directors, employees, volunteers, community service agencies, the community and other non-profit organizations.
- Engaged in the community with an overall awareness of comparable organizations in the area.
- Comfortable speaking to individuals and large audiences on behalf of OTH.
- Basic understanding of housing construction, budgeting, planning and mortgage banking and low income housing is strongly preferred.
- In line with Habitat of Humanity, must be apolitical, open and accepting of all religions, races and socioeconomic levels.
- Positive can do attitude.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Must be able to:
- Able to lift up to 25 lbs.
- Ability to maneuver within the office area
- Position is indoors and may require long periods of sitting
- Ability to travel in the community to represent the Affiliate