Provides coordination with the deans, vice provost and other senior administrators and works to ensure that the Vice Provost/Associate Dean’s agenda and initiatives are realized. Facilitates planning functions and works on the Vice Provost/Associate Dean’s behalf with senior academic administrators to strengthen operational excellence within the Division of Biology and Biomedical Sciences, communications and interdepartmental relationships.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with faculty and administration to evaluate and improve effectiveness of the PhD programs.
- Overseeing the hiring, training, developing and evaluating of staff
- Oversees DBBS Administration, Finance, and Strategic Planning; Graduate Student Recruitment, Admissions and Enrollment; Student and Alumni Services; Curriculum; and Diversity, Inclusion and Community Outreach.
- Collaborates with MSTP and OMSR directors on joint projects, areas of common interest, office administration, and staffing.
- Implements policy directives of the Vice Provost/Associate Dean for Graduate Education.
- Coordinates student initiatives and programs and special projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
Works closely with the Vice Provost/Associate Dean to:
- Ensure that appropriate and timely responses are provided from the Executive Office to a wide variety of academic and administrative issues.
- Prepares Vice Provost/Associate Dean for internal/external meetings. Researches issues, organizations or individuals prior to meetings in order to brief and share key information.
- Communicates and follows up on tasks assigned by Vice Provost/Associate Dean to others to ensure completion or resolution of issues.
- Provides regular updates on new and on-going problems, situations or projects to ensure awareness and obtain further direction which can be independently delegated to others or otherwise carried out.
- Assists with coordination of response when significant issues or challenges arise affecting DBBS or its members (i.e., catastrophic events such as on-campus fatalities, natural disasters or other emergencies).
- Assists with interpretation of bylaws, policies and procedures and when necessary, brings issues of immediate concern to the Office of General Counsel, Public Affairs or Provost.
- Develops reports for and drafts correspondence on behalf of the Vice Provost/Associate Dean. Reports include updates to academic and administrative officers, external constituencies, and faculty.
- Works closely with Public Affairs to review and confirm internal and external public announcement requiring executive input or approval.
Master’s degree, with a minimum of 5-years administrative experience involving extensive writing, organizational and project management responsibilities.
- PhD preferred.
- Able to work confidently with staff of all levels, including members of the University’s senior executive team in addition to the Vice Provost/Associate Dean.
- Demonstrated verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills are a must as are highly effective organizational skills and the ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks and manage complex, often competing priorities.
- Ability to work under demanding schedules often with tight time frames for completion, set deadlines, and collaborate with other team members to schedule workflow accordingly.
- Demonstrate high level of ethics and integrity.
The hiring range for this position is commensurate with experience.