Reporting to the Vice President for Global Commercial Operations, this role will be responsible for leading all aspects of global commercial learning and development. The candidate will be accountable for conducting global training needs assessments, global commercial competency model development, training design, training development, training delivery and training evaluation.
In addition, the Executive Director will work closely with our Commercial Human Resources lead to ensure we have up-to-date Commercial talent assessments of potential, and an annual list of high potential talent to be considered for additional leadership development and/or global talent movement to gain new leadership experiences within Gilead (especially talent deemed as having future GM potential).
The successful Commercial Learning & Development leader will be a dynamic, experienced individual with a strong track record of team leadership experience across a variety of settings and topics in the pharmaceutical or biopharmaceutical industry. She/he must have the proven ability to effectively manage complex projects, influence stakeholders without authority, effectively network across the organization and communicate with senior leaders all within a fast moving, challenging and dynamic Commercial environment. The Executive Director, Global Learning and Development will also oversee four experienced learning and development leads within the business unit.
Essential Duties and Job Functions:
Specific responsibilities include but will not be limited to the following:
- Hire and lead a group of 4 direct reports to deliver on the scope and remit of the Global Commercial Learning & Development function
- Consolidate regional / global Commercial team input and develop a comprehensive global training needs assessment and global commercial competency models.
- Work with Commercial regions and markets to define and rollout a single global selling model.
- Coordinate closely with regional learning and development organizations, especially the US Commercial Learning & Development function. Review existing regional/local training to determine viability for reuse or adaptation at a global level. Prioritize training needs and gain signoff from CLT on global training priorities.
- Build global Commercial training plan – special focus initially on global marketing excellence, global selling model and first line manager training, product/disease training and global leadership development.
- Work with US and ACE Region Commercial Learning & Development to identify existing content suitable for reuse. Determine changes required or work with external vendors to design and build new content. Also work with regions/countries to determine requirement for translation into other languages.
- Once global training is developed, the Executive Director and his/her direct reports will become lead trainers for global content, and also lead any efforts to conduct regional/local train-the-trainer activities. Significant global travel may be required as they conduct global training.
- Executive Director will also establish a learning and development leadership summit, where leaders from Regional/Local learning and development (e.g., US, Stockley Park, EU5, China, Japan, Intercontinental, etc.) units will meet from time to time to discuss, coordinate and collaborate to deliver the best training possible in the most efficient and effective manner.
- Work closely with the Commercial HR lead to ensure processes are in place to consistently and annually conduct talent assessments of all Gilead global Commercial personnel to identify our highest potential talent.
- Work with HR to ensure top talent is receiving appropriate and timely leadership training and global job moves to ensure continued development.
- Build relationships and engage with organization senior executives and functional stakeholders
- Ensure that strategic plans, goals and objectives are documented, communicated, reviewed and evaluated on a continuous basis
- Ensure stakeholders are engaged throughout training development processes, continuously incorporating feedback to ensure relevance and inclusion.
- Organize and lead global training strategy development workshops and problem solving with commercial groups across the organization as needed.
- Proactively engage with commercial groups to resolve issues, conflicts and interdependencies
- Develop relevant strategic frameworks, templates, and solutions to meet the evolving needs of the global Commercial training organization
- Lead by example, respecting Gilead core values of integrity, accountability, teamwork, excellence, and inclusion
Skills and experience:
- 14+ years' experience with MS, 16+ years with BS working in the biopharmaceutical and/or health care industry in Commercial roles with increasing responsibilities and accountabilities. Must be able to establish credibility as a successful commercial leader. Global experience a must.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and deliver compelling training to large global audiences.
- Strong leadership and self-direction, comfort and experience tackling very ambiguous and complex problems. Must be able to lead others as well as do own work.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to lead, interact with, focus, negotiate, resolve conflict and drive consensus among individuals from a variety of cultures and disciplines
- Excellent communication skills with an ability to efficiently and productively communicate both orally and in writing, experience presenting before executive staff
- Proven ability to lead collaborative and creative problem solving and overcome resistance or barriers
- Demonstrated ability to manage cross-functional teams or work groups as well as motivate and develop direct reports
- Demonstrated excellence in program management, project management, change management and effectively managing multiple projects/priorities
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- BA/BS degree required with an MBA or advanced scientific degree highly desired
- Experience in global markets (e.g. EU, Japan, China, other Rest of World)
- Experience in other Commercial roles (marketing, sales, market access, etc.) is desirable