Executive Director of Hematology / Oncology and the Cancer Service Line, plays a lead role in developing and implementing the annual Tufts Medical Center business plan for the Cancer Service Line while maintaining overall financial and operational responsibility for the Hematology / Oncology division in the Department of Medicine. This position is also responsible for the Practice Management and administration of efficient operations at the Tufts Medical Center, and various departments. This position includes both Hospital and Professional Group operations.
- Under the direction of the Cancer Center Director and the Vice President of PO Operations, this position collaborates with the division of Hematology / Oncology and Cancer Center leadership in the implementation of the strategic and operating vision of the Cancer Center, including development and management of the annual business plan for the Cancer Center Product Line and its affiliated physician practices. Develops strategies to achieve annual and long-term operational and financial goals, and expansion of the Cancer Center’s Services.
- Collaborates with the leaders at the Stoneham Cancer Center to support their annual growth plans, physician hiring, budget process and overall operations for the Hematology Oncology practice and infusion center in Stoneham.
- Working with the Stoneham Cancer Center leaders and specialties across the network, identifies needed specialty practice expansion in Stoneham that enhances the Cancer Center offerings. Crafts the business plans in consultation with various specialties that shows the demand for the expanded services and how to offer it in a way that continues to create a profitable product line offering.
- Collaborates with Department Chairs, Division Chiefs, and Section Heads involved in the delivery of Services and Programs, as well as managers and staff throughout the Tufts Medical Center system. Promotes collaboration and effective integration and utilization of resources to achieve clinical and professional goals.
- Directs daily operations of assigned clinics, programs and professional office settings including: Medical Oncology, Radiation Oncology, Gamma Knife, Surgical Oncology, Breast Health Clinic, Multidisciplinary Cancer Clinics, The Neely Center for Research and the Cancer Registry. Communicates with other departmental managers to facilitate efficient operations.
- Overall responsibility for the revenue cycle operations of Hematology / Oncology division, assuring efficient and compliant billing practices amongst the providers in Boston and at the Stoneham location.
- Working with Revenue Cycle leadership to constantly evaluate the division of Hematology / Oncology’s controllable loss, days in accounts receivable, and timely charge entry. Working with input from front line staff to recommend and implement changes that enhance revenue cycle performance.
- Regularly monitor denials and pre-authorization needs for laboratory tests and infusion services that have a significant impact to the overall profitability of the product line.
- Works with Hematology / Oncology and Cancer Center Data Analysts and Pharmacists to assure smooth implementation of needed electronic medical record (EMR) enhancements. Works to identify functionality for development that will be needed in the EMR for clinical, operational, or compliance purposes. Gains a strong consensus in advance of any implementation and thoughtfully communicates the changes well in advance.
- Is the point person on the planned new EMR implementation for Hematology / Oncology and assures proper representation from other areas of the Cancer Center to make certain stakeholders are properly informed of plans and that their voice is well represented in all discussions.
- Assures compliance with rules and regulations of regulating bodies for licensing, clinical research trials, Joint Commission certification, HIPPA and Corporate Compliance Program. Assures that documentation requirements are met. Oversees and works with physician leaders to spearhead accreditation and re-accreditation efforts specific to Cancer, including FACT, CoC, and QOPI. Oversee operations of the multi-disciplinary tumor boards and Cancer Center Grand Rounds, including accreditation processes for Continuing Medical Education certification.
- Participates in the development of and implementation of marketing strategies and works collaboratively with Senior Management to promote the program and its physicians. Recommends opportunities for partnership and develops and implements strategic plans that target specific geographic and demographic markets.
- Follows marketing trends in developing and implementing marketing and/or public relations programs to enhance Cancer Center’s image within relevant healthcare communities as a provider of choice.
- Direct responsibility and support for the Physicians Organization Department of Radiation Oncology. With the Chair, responsible for planning the yearly budget and business plans for the Department and the daily management of the physician practice at both Tufts Medical Center and Rhode Island Hospital.
- On site presence at Rhode Island Hospital as needed to support the Physicians Organization Radiation Oncology practice.
- Develops and utilizes appropriate statistical and financial performance measures and produces meaningful reports that enable management to make sound operational and strategic decisions. Analyzes business trends and makes recommendations to foster the programs’ continued success and updates the annual business plan accordingly.
- Directs Cancer Program Outreach initiatives and serves as the representative of the Cancer Program at community functions, educational seminars and professional meetings.
- Fosters collaboration with the Neely Foundation and other philanthropic organizations to develop new sources of revenue to support Cancer Center activities.
- Develops and administers programs to create a high level of patient/customer satisfaction.
- Accountable for developing, implementing and monitoring the Cancer Product Line’s budget including hospital based clinics and departments; professional practices for Tufts MC PO, and other programs identified in the annual business plan.
- Leads the Capital Budget committee for the VP of PO Operations across all PO divisions to create a meaningful and equitable committee review process for new capital projects. Representing all capital budget requests for the various stakeholders to hospital and PO leadership annually.
- Participates in the capital acquisition process for the Cancer Center product line, identifying need for replacement capital and in identifying resource requirements to implement new programs.
- Interviews, hires and supervises personnel for the Division of Hematology / Oncology, working closely with division management to create a cohesive team of patient-focused staff who consistently score in the top percentiles of patient satisfaction. Ensures the consistent administration of Tufts Medical Center (Support Staff), and Tufts MC PO (Professional Staff) Human Resources Programs and Policies.
- Plays integral role in identifying and recruiting for key MD positions to successfully implement the Cancer Product Line plan and goals. Works with PO leadership to assure that the division of Hematology / Oncology and other Cancer Center division compensation plans remain competitive and equitable. Works with the Cancer Center Director and VP of PO Operations to adjust when appropriate.
- Advocates the mission, philosophy and core values of the Cancer Center in concert with the mission of Tufts Medical Center and Tufts MC PO.
- Maintains a collaborative relationship with peers and colleagues in the hospital and Tufts MC PO to insure that specified goals are achieved. Consistently fosters a positive work environment.
- Ability to work across all areas of Cancer within the Wellforce System. Collaborative approach to help provide insight into the overall strategy for the Cancer Programs across the entire System.
- Performs other similar job related duties as required or directed.
- Bachelor of Science required. Master’s degree in Business Administration or Public Health preferred. Associates or Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Ten or more years of progressive management growth in the healthcare industry with specific experience in Cancer Program leadership preferred.
- Analytical skills needed to interpret data, develop, implement and evaluate systems, policies, procedures, budget, financial reports, etc..
- Excellent interpersonal skills to interact effectively with varying levels of personnel within and outside Tufts Medical Center.5 years prior hospital based experience in Patient Accounting/Finance, Medical Coding, Case Management, Health Information Management, or Clinical.