Executive Director, Corporate Social Responsibility
The function of the CSR Communications Team (the “CSR Comms Team”) is to promote public awareness of the Company’s CSR brand, initiatives/activities/programs and reputation so as to elevate the Company’s CSR profile, increase our Company’s overall brand equity, and drive business value. As the leader of the CSR Comms Team, the Executive Director must demonstrate the leadership acumen and skills, in alignment with the Company’s leadership expectations, to lead, and manage day-to-day, a team of communications professionals dedicated to the CSR Comms mission. Major areas of responsibility of the Executive Director include: 1) executive thought leadership in best communications practices and programming; 2) development/execution of effective external communications and media strategies, campaigns and initiatives; 3) development of CSR messaging and content for Company stakeholders, community and thought influencers, and the public; 4) media relations management; 5) management of service providers and consultants; 6) CSR communications metrics; and 7) budget/administrative management.
The CSR Comms Team interfaces with the Department and ESD organizationally, and provides CSR communications support services for the Company, primarily through the Department and ESD.
The CSR Comms Team, along with all Department positions, serves as Company and Department ambassadors, and supports enhancement of the Company’s profile and reputation as a major leader in CSR and its pillars: diversity and inclusion, giving, volunteerism and community engagement; and environmental sustainability. All duties are to be performed in accordance with departmental and MGM Resorts policies, practices, and procedures.
Thought Leadership/Subject Matter Expertise/Research
- Lead development/maintenance of the subject matter expertise of the CSR Comms Team in best practices related to effective CSR communications strategy, CSR brand positioning, CSR content structure, communications techniques, and the range of modern-day media and communications channels.
- Develop and execute a comprehensive, proactive external CSR communications strategy/plan to raise public awareness of the Company’s CSR brand, activities/events and reputation, through traditional and non-traditional vehicles (such as Company websites; earned and editorial media; social media; strategic speakerships; surveys; and otherchannels of information).
- Build creative campaigns that lift Company CSR reputation.
- Serve as communications advisor to senior leadership on external CSR communications strategy, issues and/or campaigns.
- Develop a Company CSR Speakers Bureau. Proactively seek and secure/assist in securing strategic high-visibility speaking and interview opportunities for Company executives regarding CSR, including media training; preparation of talking points, speeches; etc.
- Monitor the competitive landscape for trends in CSR branding and positioning, and recommend adjustments in Company practices where indicated.
Development of Content/Messaging
- Collaborate with other Company teams/stakeholders on development of our Company’s CSR brand.
- Create and supervise production of compelling public communications content/key messaging that promotes the Company CSR brand, messages, storytelling and successful impacts – including Company-generated writings such as press releases, announcements, advertisements, postings, newsletters, blogs, opinion editorials (“op-eds”), brochures, white papers and power points; video concepts; and other productions.
- Drive editorial story planning, writing and pitching to external media, including all necessary follow-up efforts – including fact-finding, quote development and approval, etc.
- Ensure that CSR communications deliverables adhere to Company brand standards.
- Play a significant role in preparation of the Company’s annual CSR report as a high-priority project.
- Collaborate with the Company’s corporate divisions and departments – including the Company’s Diversity & Inclusion, National Diversity Relations, Philanthropy, Human Resources, DiversitySales, Supplier Diversity and Construction Diversity teams – and operating properties to monitor and develop substantive content, messaging and storytelling; execute Speakers Bureau; and deploy external communications strategy for promotion of the Company’s CSR brand.
- Build strong working relationships with communications teams across the enterprise to promote a holistic approach to CSR brand definition and execution; integration of CSR content into the Company’s overall brand; and deployment of CSR communications strategy – including Internal CSR Communications Team at Center of Excellence (“COE”) for Employee Communications & Engagement; Advertising & Brand Marketing; Public Relations; Corporate Communications; Social Media; Investor Relations; etc.
Media Relations Management
- Cultivate/maintain relationships with external media (editors, reporters, bloggers, etc.), analysts, media organizations and thought influencers covering the CSR arena to increase coverage of Company CSR initiatives.
- Identify/analyze sponsorship opportunities for the Company in CSR media space in accordance with Company and Department policies and procedures.
Service Provider/Consultant Management
- Manage services provided by external communications and/or brand consultants, service providers, etc.
- Maintain relevant CSR communications benchmarks and metrics – including team production, and measurements to track the effectiveness and progress of external CSR communications.
- Lead compilation, analysis and preparation of quarterly reporting regarding the annual strategic/tactics plan, activities and Key Performance Indicators (“KPIs”) of the CSR Comms Team.
- Contribute as necessary to preparation of the Company’s responses to CSR reputation surveys, questionnaires, etc.
Team Leadership/Management Responsibilities
- Lead, develop, motivate, manage and work with a high-performing CSR Comms team to meet strategic goals and business objectives, including regular work assignments; coordination and collaboration; compliance with deadlines; special projects; etc.
- Practice the expectations and standards of Company leadership; and act as a mentor to team members and other Company employees.
- Prepare and comply with the CSR Comms Team annual budget.
- Participate in Company-sponsored volunteer and/or other CSR opportunities; and support other initiatives, programs and projects of the Department or ESD, as assigned.
- Responsible for team adherence to all Company policies, procedures and processes.
- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree – preferably with a concentration in Communications; Corporate/Strategic Communications; Journalism; Marketing, or subject matter related or transferable to the requirements of this D&I role.
- Minimum of 8years communications experience; proven results in building media relationships and working with various media, analysts and/or influencers.
- Experienced advisor to senior leadership with ability to give candid recommendations.
- Experience in engaging with external stakeholders, influencers and business partners across cultures domestically and internationally
- Experience in managing teams and external resources/service providers.
- Proven experience with strategic planning; communications strategy; brand development or support; content development; writing; web and social media; project and budget management; presentation development; and speaker’s bureau operations.
- Excellent oral and written communications proficiency, including executive-level presentation skills.
- Advanced degree in one of the above-listed subject areas.
- National media experience.