Duties & Responsibilities
Reporting to the Senior Associate Dean of Alumni Relations and Resource Development, the Harvard Kennedy School is searching for a senior level professional who will have responsibility for the following: Operations, including budget preparation and management working with relevant School departments; member of the Gift Policy Advisory Committee (GPAC), with senior representatives from HKS research administration, finance, dean, and academic dean's offices, responsible for review of gift proposals and terms; donor stewardship; events management; partner with Human Resources on employment, employee relations and engagement issues, including advising ARRD senior staff on evaluations and policies; liaison with School IT department; serve as ARRD senior team leader for administrative functions with appropriate university offices including Alumni and Development Services, Office of General Counsel and other appropriate university offices as necessary.
This position contributes to meeting and exceeding department revenue goals by providing broad oversight for all administrative functions for Alumni Relations and Development and management of donor relations, stewardship, operations and events.
- Oversees stewardship functions at HKS which include financial reporting, stewardship reporting, and creative donor recognition. Oversees donor relations which is responsible for gift policy and related functions, including staffing the School's Gift Proposal Advisory Committee, drafting/editing complex new proposals in collaboration with ARRD gift officers and HKS research centers, drafting gift terms, initiating fund set-ups, managing pledge data and reminders and other gift fund related projects.
- Serves as key resource within ARRD and at HKS more broadly for interpreting and advising on University gift policy, reviews gift proposals, develops and reviews proposal budgets, coordinating closely with HKS Financial Services, provides feedback on financial and/or stewardship reporting to donors.
- Oversees donor engagement and other special events at HKS. The donor engagement team manages program content and logistics for a range of development and alumni events, including volunteer meetings, conferences and cultivation events. In addition, this team is responsible for administering the School's endowed lectures, working closely with the Dean's and Academic Dean's Offices. The team also provides support for events run by the Dean's Office.
- Manages data recording and reporting functions for ARRD. Serves as primary contact for Alumni and Development Services for questions related to gift recording and crediting. Works with the advancement operations team to define data/reporting needs for the department and the School's senior leadership. Working collaboratively with HKS departments, including IT, Executive Education, Degree Programs Student Affairs and Alumni Relations to collect and manage biographical data of alumni and donors.
- Serves as primary departmental contact for IT issues, managing annual equipment upgrades, coordinating development needs with HKS IT and ensuring that users receive needed training/support.
- Manages departmental HR needs including drafting job descriptions, coordinating hiring process with HR and hiring managers, developing interview processes for searches, coordinating employee engagement and annual performance review processes in conjunction with senior associate dean and providing other HR support as needed.
Continued in additional information section, below.
Bachelor's Degree required; 7+ years of related experience.Experience in financial management, project management and staff supervision; experience working with both alumni and non-alumni constituencies
Master's degree preferred; prior development experience with functional experience in frontline fundraising, donor relations, events management, or development systems strongly preferred; prior Harvard experience preferred; prior experience working in a fundraising campaign preferred.
Strong communication skills, written and oral; strategic thinker with experience developing and implementing strategic plans; experience with data analysis and ability to communicate results to a wide variety of audiences; comfort with new technology and ability to learn new systems quickly;
Excellent judgment/problem solving skills and ability to work with discretion; ability to navigate in a complex, de-centralized environment; comfort dealing with ambiguity and ability to guide staff through a variety of solution scenarios; ability to balance demands/expectations of internal and external constituents; a comprehensive understanding of needed systems and infrastructure to track and manage financial data and alumni/prospect/donor data; ability to build strong partnerships and work collaboratively across ARRD, HKS and with University partners
Job description continued:
- Works with senior associate dean and senior leadership team to identify department and functional area training requirements, coordinates a variety of departmental meetings and retreats as needed.
- Manages departmental budget, including development of annual original and revised budgets, long term budget planning and associated budget narratives. Ensures departmental spending is in accordance with local and University policies and provides regular reporting to departmental budget managers. Highlights areas of concern and works with managers to revise plans as new opportunities arise. Works closely with HKS Financial Services to provide regular updates on fundraising results.
- Oversees credit card transmittals of HKS gifts to insure compliance with industry and university guidelines. Ensures Alumni Relations and Resource Development staff are aware of credit card security policies and complete annual compliance acknowledgement.
- Works closely and collaboratively across the School with senior faculty and staff leaders as a member of the Senior Operations and Management Team for HKS and represent ARRD at the HKS Financial Manager's Group.
- Serves on ARRD's Senior Leadership Team as an important contributor to ARRD's overall strategy development.
Reporting to this position: Senior Director of Engagement, Senior Director of Donor Relations, Director of Stewardship and Advancement Operations, Operations Coordinator.