Reporting to theGeneral Manager of the unit, the Executive Chef, Operations isresponsible for daily monitoring of the preparation of the pre-designed meals for multiple customer accounts with culinary expertise through the management of all Chefs, Sous Chefs and Cooks at the unit, and promoting and providing quality food services to airline clients.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Achieves culinary operational objectives by contributing information and analysis to strategic plans and reviews; preparing and completing action plans; implementing production, productivity, quality, and customer service standards; serving as culinary resource to operation managers; identifying and resolving problems; completing audits; determining system improvements; implementing change.
- Meets culinary financial objectives by estimating requirements; assisting with menu design; anticipating and evaluating response to menu presentation; scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions; evaluating time-saving production techniques; training others in specialty techniques.
- Adheres to recipes and portion specifications as required by the customer by understanding consumer tastes and nutritional needs; reviewing product specifications; evaluating ease of menu preparation; applying established procedures and budgetary constraints.
- Oversees food preparation by consulting with the Buyer; Sous Chefs, cooks, and team leaders; overseeing portion size; controlling productivity; providing culinary leadership in areas of personal expertise; monitoring presentations, garnishments, and sauces.
- Improves menu quality and consistency by analyzing food production records and menu expenses; promoting kitchen staff interest in quality improvement; studying, evaluating, and re-designing processes; implementing changes.
- Prepares menu and food preparation reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing food, dining, and customer data and trends.
- Maintains safe, secure, and healthy work environment by establishing, following, and enforcing standards and procedures; complying with sanitation and federal, state, and local legal regulations; overseeing food preparation, safety, and security; reviewing and implementing accident and disaster plans.
- Using menu specifications, maintains food ingredients, food preparation, and general supplies by selecting and purchasing menu ingredients; evaluating the quality of fresh food and food product deliveries; maintaining general supplies; establishing inventory levels, re-order points, storage requirements, and cost controls.
- Maintains culinary equipment by following operating instructions; instructing staff in equipment use; troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining equipment supplies; performing preventive maintenance; calling for repairs; evaluating new equipment; preparing administrative proposals to justify purchases.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; benchmarking state-of-the-art practices; being sought for opinions a culinary expert; contributing to professional publications; participating in professional societies and sharing this information with direct reports.
- Accomplishes culinary goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Ensures quality production standards are followed and maintained. Ensures employees adhere to HACCP, FDA and safety regulations and compliance with Company policies and procedures.
- Trains and monitors employees on proper work procedures and production of standard products to ensure maximum productivity with minimum labor and food expenses.
- Assists in the development and training of cooks as required.
- Prepares administrative reports as required.
- Ensures maximum productivity and labor costs are maintained according to financial requirements. Monitors daily manpower planning and employee turnover. Responsible for employee retention.
- Ensures meal cycles are communicated in a timely and accurate basis. Monitor yields of products to ensure maximum usage.
- Works with management staff to improve performance of the unit.
- Ensures menu presentations are properly planned, set up, and specifications reviewed to ensure compliance.
- Maintains labor requirements, food costs, overtime, and all productivity requirements.
- Must ensure all cooks and Sous Chefs have the skill and ability to perform all cooking and food preparation requirements of all the Airline Accounts serviced in the unit.
- Ensures all products are cooked at requiredtemperature according to airline and food safety specifications, etc.
- Responsible for coaching, counseling and preparing corrective actions for employees.
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Must have a college degree in the Culinary Arts or a related field (formal culinary education).
- Must have a minimum of ten years of experience as a Chef.
- Must have a minimum of four years of experience as an Executive Chef.
- Must have a minimum of one to three years of supervisory experience working in a high volume, manufacturing, food production and restaurant or catering environment.
- Must have an in-flight catering experience or experience in a high volume, food service environment.
- Current or previous labor relations experience a plus.
- Experience with menu design a plus.
- Must have the ability to cook meals according to detailed specifications.
- Must have the ability to work in a fast paced, deadline driven environment.
- Must have strong and effective leadership skills, and the ability to successfully manage a staff of two to three Sous Chefs and over 20 cooks.
- Candidate must be comfortable with all levels of employees and have the ability to drive positive program change.
- Must have the ability to train others.
- Must have the ability to give negative and positive feedback to employees on a daily basis.
- Must have excellent time management skills. Must have the ability to handle multiple tasks without losing focus on priorities.
- Must have strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Must be innovative and have the ability to make changes to the operation as needed to further improve the work environment and unit performance.
- Must have basic computer skills including working knowledge of Microsoft Office products such as Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Multi-lingual a plus.
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations:
- ServSafe Certified preferred.
- Must have the ability to obtain ServSafe Certification.