About Ropes & Gray
Ropes & Gray LLP is a preeminent global law firm focused on providing the highest-quality advice on our clients’ critical legal and business issues. Our global team of 2,500 talented professionals regularly helps clients meet high-stakes challenges, solve complex problems and achieve key goals. These colleagues work together across a global office network that includes offices in Boston, Chicago, Hong Kong, London, New York, San Francisco, Seoul, Shanghai, Silicon Valley, Tokyo and Washington, D.C.
We are a contemporary firm that can bring more than 150 years of legal and institutional history to bear on the challenges clients face in today’s global, 24/7 business environment. Our collaborative approach gives our clients—which include many of the world’s most respected companies and institutions—ready access to leading corporate, litigation, transactional and regulatory lawyers whose knowledge and experience span industries and geographies.
With an international presence, we focus primarily on the asset management, technology, life sciences, health care and real estate industries. Our clients include global industry leaders, financial institutions, investment firms, private equity firms, hospitals and health care organizations, educational institutions and individuals.
We have consistently been recognized for our leading practices in many areas, including private equity, M&A, life sciences, health care, finance, investment management, hedge funds, tax, real estate, intellectual property, business and securities litigation, government enforcement, antitrust, and privacy and data security.
Ropes & Gray is an equal opportunity employer.
The Events Manager is responsible for the creation, execution and tracking of events on behalf of the firm. In this role, the Events Manager will work closely with attorneys, senior support professionals, colleagues in practice development, business development, and outside vendors to deliver first-class events and help meet business objectives.
Prior event planning experience is required. Essential capabilities include exceptional time management skills to run effective planning meetings and onsite execution, exceptional communication, leadership, and organizational skills. Strong interpersonal skills are critical and the ability to build strong relationships inside and outside the firm; providing superior client service is the hallmark of successful candidates in this position.
- Successfully plan and manage event logistics to ensure coordination and flawless execution activities amongst venues, vendors and teams.
- Authority on sourcing and selecting hotels, venues, caterers, restaurants, transportation, audio/visual and technology professionals, event decor and florals, social activities and other external vendors/service providers. Ability to makes appropriate recommendations to assist in building practice group and firm brand.
- Contributes to comprehensive marketing plans and makes strategic recommendations in relation to practice groups or firm committees/initiatives’ participation for events.
- Fiscally responsible and must have experience preparing, maintaining and adhering to budgets, including budget tracking. Experience negotiating pricing and contracts, including revisions as necessary.
- Works with creative services team to develop appropriately branded materials such as invitations, signage, advertisements, and other firm branded mediums.
- Regularly conducting market/competitive research and related analysis to develop creative, innovative events. Keep up with current event technology and trends.
- Propose new ideas, evaluate programs and plan for continuous improvement.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Bachelor's degree with eight plus years of event planning, preferably in legal or professional services marketing.
- A minimum of 3 years of supervisory or management experience required.
- Proven project management skills.
- Exceptional organizational skills.
- Strong knowledge of best practices in event management as well as other areas of marketing: business development, communications, creative design and research.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, webinar technology, InterAction and other computer applications/skills.
- Strategic thinker.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, set priorities and meet multiple deadlines in a fast-paced environment; the ability to follow-up and follow through.
- Impeccable attention to detail, use of good judgment and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently independently, as well as collaboratively as part of a cross-functional team across multiple offices.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate/interact effectively both orally and in writing with all levels of the internal organization (attorneys and staff), as well as external points of contact.
- Ability to be a proactive self-starter with an exceptionally strong work ethic while also understanding the details of a project within the larger context of the identified goals and objectives.
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, Internet research, InterAction, and other computer applications/skills.
- Must be flexible in order to respond quickly and positively to shifting demands and opportunities; ability to work under tight deadlines and handle multiple, detailed tasks.
- Must exhibit high energy, enthusiasm, positive attitude and poise; be articulate and confident.