Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers – and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
The Travelers Cloud Services organization is seeking an experienced and motivated Technology Engineer to support the software infrastructure and automation tools for our enterprise Big Data infrastructure platforms. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in ETL software development including mastery of modern development tools and methodologies (IDEs, source control, continuous build & integration, etc.), a basic understanding of databases, data ingestion frameworks, data manipulation, and data flow principles and best practices , and a desire to learn Ab Initio, as well as the analytic, organizational, and communication skills necessary to be an effective technical leader in a visible role
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Support and maintain Ab Initio platforms and support application software platforms.
- Provide guidance on industry best practices around continuous integration & deployment for applications.
- Provide guidance to Line of Business application teams for ETL best practices around data ingestion, manipulation, and data flow.
- Willingness to provide basic ETL support and learn AB Initio administration duties – We will train the right candidate
- Help design, document, and implement administrative procedures for the Ab Initio platform.
- Build, leverage, and maintain effective relationships across technical and business community.
- Participate in 24×7 production support rotation and provide off-hours support as required.
- Act as a point of contact with our vendors to troubleshoot and resolve issues as required.
- Lead small to medium sized software development projects spanning multiple technical areas & disciplines
- Research, analyze, and evaluate potential software products for use in the ETL infrastructure platforms.
- Provide IT and business partners consultation on using the ETL platforms effectively;
- Follow all enterprise change management and project management processes
High School diploma or equivalent required. 1 year of experience in Technology required.
Education, Work Experience & Knowledge
Bachelor's degree in Technology or a related field preferred. 3 years of experience in Technology preferred. Developing knowledge of infrastructure technologies.
Job Specific & Technical Skills & Competencies
- Understanding of supporting technologies such as Jenkins, Urban Code Deploy, Nexus, Git, etc.
- Basic knowledge and experience with the Linux OS and with Linux shell scripting.
- Basic knowledge of database fundamentals and experience working with one or more DBMS platforms such as Teradata, SQL Server, or Oracle from an interaction perspective
- Basic knowledge of Python, Ruby, Scala would be considered a plus.
- Familiarity with Micro Service Architecture and Containerized Application Development would be considered a plus.
- Basic knowledge of the agile development methodology concepts and best practices would be considered a plus.
- ETL deployments in the cloud is a plus.
- Willingness to learn new technologies in the Big Data and analytics space
- Has an advanced knowledge of tools and techniques required for area(s) of responsibility and a general understanding of the business that the assigned projects are supporting. Leverages this understanding of the business and systems environment to develop appropriate and timely solutions to daily issues.
- Has conceptual knowledge of varying technologies and the ability to make decisions based on that knowledge.
- Creates an atmosphere where business partner issues are dealt with professionally and in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates sound analytical and diagnostic skills dealing with issues that are loosely defined and where information is available but must be further manipulated.
- Responsibilities are assigned with latitude for setting priorities and decision making in accordance with business client priorities.
- Maintains effective partnerships across the department, and with business customers, and is able to provide management with substantive input and influence peers and project staff through an inclusive style and recognition of abilities and knowledge Planning and Project Management.
- Typically has a minimum of 3-5+ years of hands on experience in information technology infrastructure, with strong aptitude with: software/solution development/delivery, Big Data, Information Delivery, and/or High Performance Computing.
- Have a deep understanding of capabilities and the direction of technology and applications, coupled with an in-depth knowledge of the technology required and the needs of business environment necessary to support assigned application/function and/or projects
- Educated to BA, BS degree and/or level higher, a plus.
- Have the ability to interact and communicate both written and verbally with the Business Head and their Senior Management team.
- Strong written skills are required in the documentation of policies, procedures and standards as they apply to security. Must be able to help motivate team members and project owners to successful completion of required projects.
- Ability to create metrics, presentations and other documents as needed.
- Have the ability to manage and prioritize responsibilities through the effective use of time management and organizational techniques.
- Must be flexible and be able to manage several projects simultaneously. Must be able to work through cross-departmental situations, track performance, communicate expectations, anticipate and recognize problems and, when appropriate, escalate appropriately.
Weekend work hours, Holiday work hours (Federal and religious)only as needed.
Operates standard office equipment and Sitting (can stand at will)
Licensing or Certificates
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer.