Walsh is currently seeking an Estimator for the Heavy Civil Division in Chicago, IL.
The Estimator will support and work with management, operations and estimating staff in the review of project plans, requirements and specifications. The Estimator shall have extensive knowledge of construction means and methods, and cost history. Qualified individuals will have estimating experience with excavation, foundations, concrete paving, bridge, or utility construction. Must be confident working with estimating teams on projects of varying sizes, and be capable of estimating hard bid, negotiated and conceptual projects. Individual must be self-motivated, possess strong communication/interpersonal skills and be confident in his/her ability to develop and manage their assigned portion of the estimate.
Walsh is a rapidly growing, highly diversified construction company, and we constantly seek builders and business people to join our industry-leading team. Walsh employees are competitive entrepreneurs with strong character who are energized by working on a team to meet challenges and are willing to take risks after careful planning. There are many compelling reasons why exceptional people should consider a career with our company:
- Challenging, complex projects
- Creative and innovative problem solving environment
- Supportive, communicative managers who reward your success
- Opportunities for growth, training, and development
- Flexibility to build what you want, where you want
- Review project plans, requirements and specifications.
- Have demonstrated leadership abilities to coordinate a team of estimators to develop a large multidisciplinary estimate.
- Determine labor and equipment costs.
- Perform accurate quantity takeoffs and materials pricing.
- Review and understand all bid documents and assess project risks.
- Understand project logistics and project schedule.
- Prepare bid packages. Compare and analyze competitive subcontractor and supplier bids.
- Review quotes and estimates with the Project Management Team.
- Prepare estimates at different levels of completion (conceptual, Schematic, DD, CD, etc.)
- Assist with certain post-bid buyouts.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned
- 4 yeardegree in Civil Engineering or Construction Management
- 5 – 10 years of construction industry experience
- Experience estimating projects ranging from $10M to $300M
- Advanced computer skills with estimating software
- Advanced computers skills with MS Office, Primavera P6
- Extensive knowledge of construction costs and engineering principles
- Well organized, flexible, detail oriented and have the ability to multi-task.
- Prioritize work load and consistently meet deadlines while constantly changing tasks and demands
- Effective presentation skills
- Excellent written and oral communicator