The purpose of this role is to contribute to the success and profitability of projects by providing accurate, timely, and complete estimates for Heavy Civil Construction including underground, grading, concrete and paving. This role provides ongoing assistance during the building phase of projects that may include: estimate interpretation, problem resolution, and successful processing of change orders.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Actively supports the achievement of Estimating function’s goals and objectives. Shares knowledge and stays abreast of evolving industry trends and best practices, including new techniques and equipment used in industry. Ensures a focus on long range priorities, customer feedback, and continuously strives to make improvements to day-to-day processes and procedures.
- Collaborates across department and supports consistent estimating practices and administrative procedures. Ensures policies, procedures, and standards are adhered to as well as protect the company’s interests.
- Establishes, promotes, and protects Teichert Construction values including diversity, teamwork, fair work environment, and respect of others. Maintains a “team” spirit within the business unit. Works and cooperates with other disciplines (across company lines). Uses resources effectively and efficiently.
- Promotes and protects the community perception of Teichert.
- Accurately prepares complete & timely estimates. Reviews project plans and specifications to determine scope and identify risks. Evaluates historical data in order to confirm similar project unit prices and man hour production rates. Builds estimates on time, in accordance to business and company standards, policies, and procedures. Coordinates ‘Good Faith Effort’ advertisements and establishes plan to make DBE/DVBE/SBE goals.
- Establishes and coordinates meetings, completion dates and technical specifications review for project teams. Specifically: reviews bid document, takeoffs and joint venture agreements; creates pre-bid project schedules and risk analysis; estimates project manpower, equipment, and material needs; coordinates bid reviews, bid day game planning and post bid document submissions; and continually evaluates progress and results of projects.
- Coordinates job set up by preparing and handoff meetings, breakdowns, subcontracts, purchase orders, and other required documents on procured projects. Reviews plans and field changes and supports in the change order process, as required.
- Partners with Project Managers and Superintendents on problem resolution, implementing ongoing efficiencies, and improving ways of accomplishing project goals. Recommends and incorporates changes in procedures, objectives, or best solutions based on cost, engineering quality, and availability of materials.
- Identifies, and acts upon, potential lines of business and new client prospects to assist with creating new business opportunities.
- Builds and maintains positive client relationships resulting in increased business, repeat customers, and industry referrals. Communicates company and project policies, procedures, and standards. Gathers feedback and continuously makes improvements to work processes, practices, and equipment.
- Assists in achieving a zero injury culture through the support of Teichert’s Injury Prevention and Safety program and active participation in appropriate safety meetings and training sessions to maintain a safe, healthy work environment and meet corporate safety standards.
- Completes internal administrative organization and documentation, including project logs, files, records and reports pertaining to Estimating function. May include bids, cost estimates, state and federal regulations and codes. Contributes to written and up-to-date estimating guidelines, manuals, and policies and procedures.