This project will consist of four main contracts, California Civil, Nevada Civil, Trackwork and Systems. Other major works will include stations built at each terminus as well as a Maintenance of Way facility. Reporting to the AVP – Contracts & Compliance, the Estimator/Project Engineer will participate in a wide variety of cost-centric duties, such as estimating support for change negotiation and project cost forecasting, and may be asked to transition to the field to support the various project management teams in the implementation of control systems for the project, addressing schedule, cost, risk and document management.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop resource costs such as labor and burden rates, equipment rates, and material cost rates.
- Perform quantity takeoff and pricing for civil engineering work including earthwork, drainage, temporary and permanent earth retention, bridges, track, and road construction.
- Analyze and validate contractor cost and schedule demands for additional work and other changes under existing construction contracts.
- Review and analysis of the contractor's schedule of values and adjustments thereto as a result of approved change orders
- Reporting of monthly cost metrics for ongoing projects to senior management
- Coordination with project management staff in the implementation, management and reporting of project budget performance
- Performing detailed financial forecasting as requested by senior management
- Support change management on the project and implementing across all segments of construction.
- Support construction projects in maintenance of PCO logs
- Develop comprehensive understanding of the form of Construction Contract, particularly with respect to cost and schedule requirements.
- Implementing a process for contractor-driven CPM scheduling within each segment and across the program. Evaluation of the initial baseline schedule, monthly updates, re-baselines, recovery schedules and the as-built schedule.
- Providing review of Time Impact Analysis ("TIA") submitted by the contractor(s) in support of requests for time adjustments
- Review and analysis of claims for adjustment and assistance in defense strategies and responses to such requests
- Other Duties as assigned
- BS in Civil Engineering or Finance or related field
- Minimum of 10 years experience in construction of complex multidisciplinary heavy/civil construction projects, with a minimum of 5 years dedicated exclusively to cost estimating.
- Prior experience in one or more of the major project disciplines including heavy grading, temporary and permanent earth retention, drainage infrastructure, bridges, track construction and road construction.
- Fluency with Microsoft Office software
- Fluent with Oracle Primavera P6 CPM scheduling software and Bluebeam
- Demonstrated expertise in job cost management and project cost accounting processes
- Demonstrated experience in the development and/or analysis of cost and schedule impact claims on major civil construction projects.
- Prior experience with HCSS Heavy Bid is required
- Demonstrated expertise CPM scheduling for civil construction projects
- Prior experience with project a project management platform such as PMWeb, Procore, Prolog, ebuilder, etc.
- Heavy/civil construction takeoff and estimating experience
- Prior experience estimating track and railroad infrastructure