STV is a leading, award-winning professional firm offering engineering, architectural, planning, environmental and construction management services. We consistently rank among the country's top 25 firms in education, corrections, highways, bridges, rail and mass transit. Throughout the United States and in Canada, STV’s professional, technical and support personnel offer services to a broad and ever-expanding client base. We provide planning, environmental, design, program and construction management, and specialty services for the transportation, design-build, institutional and commercial building, advanced technology, industrial and defense markets.
STV’s team of construction professionals provides flexible, focused construction management and technical services to public and private sector clients. Managing projects that range from $100,000 to hundreds of millions of dollars nationwide, our construction management specialists are complemented by an experienced architectural and engineering design staff. As an added value to our clients, we also provide cost estimating, scheduling and value engineering services in-house. It is this seamless integration of multidisciplinary capabilities that sets us apart from other firms.
We currently have an opening in Los Angeles, CA office for a Mechanical, Plumbing, Fire Safety Estimator in our Construction Management division to work on aviation projects.
Estimators are an integral part of the Construction process. Accurate estimating ensures competitiveness, profitability and growth. A background in electricalconstruction is essential to being successful in this position. Candidates with prior experience as union / non-union project manager preferred.
- Preparing conventional bids and conceptual estimates to owners as assigned.
- Advise and assist in recognizing risk on projects being bid. Review and coordinate final pricing methodology.
- Review quantities, production rates, material quotes and totals for pricing prior to bid day and on bid day.
- Assist in receiving and evaluating subcontractor and major material quotations prior to bid day and on bid day.
- Work as lead estimator on individual projects including takeoffs, sub-solicitations, pricing, bid summaries, GC’s and final bid day preparations.
- Review work of estimators and junior estimators to comply with standard estimating practices and S&P guidelines.
- Complete post mortem review of bid projects.
- Take responsibility for review of project bid’s accuracy and communication of construction techniques and strategies used in bid preparation on successful bids with Project Management prior to project commencement.
- Prepare and make estimate transfer to budget.
- Oversee and assist Project Management with the preparation of significant project change estimates including change orders and constructionclaims.
- Develop and maintain Sub/Vendor database.
- Develop and Maintain cost history on different types of projects.
- Train estimating staff and bid day help.
- Solicit and maintain communication with subcontractors and vendors.
- Prepare subcontractor bid packages.
- Ensure that we have the proper coverage from subcontractors on bid day.
- Review bid requirements thoroughly.
- Develop RFI’s and clarifications and ensure adequate subcontractor coverage and shows interest.
- Perform comprehensive bid day analysis and scoping of specific assigned trades.
- Create bid lists that fit scope of job, ensuring that we have the right subs for the project.
- Participate in value engineering exercises.
- Properly turn over bid documents and sub buyout information to Project Management in a timely manner.
- Review drawings with Project Management team and highlight areas of concern.
- Other duties as assigned.
Experience, Education, Certification:
- B.A. or B.S.in Engineering, Construction Management or Architecture, or equivalent experience.
- 7-10 years of estimating experience for large projects.
- Must have recent and relevant experience with Mechanical and Plumbing estimating on large projects.
- Knowledge of estimating software, engineering principles and construction principles.
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be detail-oriented and have the ability to work well within a deadline driven environment.
- Perform functions efficiently and accurately with little direct supervision.
- Must maintain a professional attitude and conduct oneself in positive manner at all times.
- Must respect and maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Must be able to perform in fast paced, changing environment
- Positive attitude and professional customer service skills.