The time is right to join HNTB! We have an immediately available job opening for an Estimator IV for our Project Controls team in our Minneapolis, MN or Detroit, MI office.
- Provides guidance, direction, and specialized assistance for the resolution of difficult and complex estimating problems.
- Ability to independently prepare all aspects of detailed cost estimates of large and/or complex projects in the heavy civil infrastructure industry. These projects include but are not limited to the following types of contracting:
- Design Build
- Public Private Partnerships
- Design Bid Build
- Ability to lead a team to perform contractor style cost estimates and provide clients guidance on outcome of estimate and risks associated with project costs. Estimates may be in excess of 1+ billion dollars. Functions will include understanding regional influences that will impact an estimate for labor, equipment, or materials, and be able to produce estimates at any location in the United States.
- Provide support in price negotiations. Perform related costs estimating and budgeting functions.
- Oversee preparation of independent cost estimates (ICE) for submitted change order proposals.
- Provide cost support during Value Engineering Studies and design charts. ∙ Perform conceptual estimating by establishing a project’s cost, before any graphical representation of a facility has been developed.
- Perform cost estimates by breaking down the items of work on an orderly and logical basis, determining the cost of each item from experience and summarizing the total.
- Analyzes specifications, sketches, drawings, bills of material or sample layouts and calculate cost using labor, material and equipment pricing schedules and historical data.
- Oversees and provides quality control/assurance for takeoffs on complex projects, drawings, and plans with project management and checks for mathematical and technical accuracy.
- Consult with clients, vendors, other departments to discuss and formulate quantity take-offs and cost estimates and resolve issues.
- Develops duration estimates of specific construction activities based on assumed construction approach and appropriate production rates.
- Work closely the project supervisor to ensure the project estimate meets all financial and regulatory guidelines.
- Prepares bid estimates for use in reviewing constructioncontractor bids.
- Accumulates, evaluates, and documents historical cost data and construction procedures and methods in order to maintain current estimating standards and databases.
- Set up cost monitoring and reporting systems and procedures.
- Creates cost models for cost estimating elements.
- Uses and provides guidance and oversight of the use of estimating software, including related protocols and standards. Maintain a database of cost history information, and stay up with current technology and software to continually advance the group.
- Prepare cost reports and presents findings to design and client teams.
- Participates in client presentations as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Architecture, Construction Mgmt or Business
- 7years related estimating experience
- Without preferreddegree, 11years’ experience in development of cost estimates in facilities construction.
- Experience in the heavy civil infrastructure industry such as civil, structures, or transit industry
- Ability to travel up to 40% of the time, as required.
- Ability to obtain Security Clearance as needed.
- Experience in alternative contracting such as design build, P3’s, CMGC preferred
- Former experience with a heavy civil contractor preferred
- Experience preparing cost estimates using a variety of Estimating tools, including Excel spreadsheets, Sage Timberline, HCSS HeavyBid, and/or other estimating software
- AACE’s CEP (Certified Estimating Professional) or equivalent designation
- Experience working on large civil transportation projects desirable
- DOT project experiencepreferred.
Job ID 1017-17043