As an Estimator for Heavy Civil projects in our San Diego, California office you will prepare and/or coordinate complete estimates including analyzing specifications, proposals, takeoffs and other documentation to prepare estimates.
- Coordinate total estimating effort relevant to a particular bid/project as assigned
- Review proposal specifications, drawings, attend pre-bid meetings, etc. to determine scope of work and required contents of estimate
- Assist in preparation of bid schedules of projects being estimated
- Perform Risk and Contract Management responsibilities as required
- Review and incorporate historical data from purchase orders, subcontracts, productivity analysis reports, etc. into unit and man-hour figures
- Prepare discipline estimates by calculating complete takeoff of scope of work
- Consult with clients, vendors, or other individuals to discuss and formulate estimates and resolve issues
- May review design options and recommend best solution based on cost, engineering quality, or availability of materials
- Work with Company employees, owners and subcontractors to get commitment/consensus regarding proposed bids
- Obtain knowledge of project and appropriate regulations required to construct the project to meet affirmative action requirements and MBE/WBE requirements
- Review list of work to be performed by subcontractors
- Review final estimate and apply strategic cost factors if necessary
- Monitor client changes and advise the estimating team of all changes in scope during the estimate period
- Partner withother estimators to turn project over to production team
- Follow awarded contracts as assigned – may include estimating extra work items, change orders, credits
- Advise on major changes in scope of work.
- Upon project completion, conduct debriefing with estimating, engineering and production teams to discuss positive and negative aspects of the project
- Maintain files of working documents as back-up for estimate figures, including current/accurate information on prices from suppliers and subcontractors
- Search and analyze options for most effective means and methods of construction
- Understand best value approach to winning new work
- Prepare bids, select vendors and/or subcontractors and determine cost effectiveness of projects to be bid
- Set productive, consistent, and acceptable work example
- Maintains knowledge of Flatiron’s company values and strategic plan
- Support published corporate policies
- Perform additional assignments per management’s direction
- Bachelor's Degree in a related field from an accredited institution and 5years estimating or related experience.
- 10 years related experience if not degreed in a related field of study.
- Minimum 2years of Structures or Earthwork Estimating for heavy civil projects. (Highway, Rail, Bridge or Airport infrastructure)
- Experience with HCSS Heavy Bid Estimating Software preferred