As Estimating Manager based in our regional office in Raleigh, you will be responsible for leading the preparation of accurate and timely estimates, along with detailed project schedules of large scale heavy highway, bridge and civil Bid Build and Alternative Delivery projects across the region. This will include but not be limited to performing construction quantity take offs, pricing the work, working with design firms, attending pre-bid meetings, securing and comparing competitive prices from vendors and subcontractors and submitting completed bid packages to clients.
- Working closely with the VP of Preconstruction, you will advise the district management group when determining types of projects to bid that are strategically aligned with the business direction
- Perform Risk and Contract Management reviews
- Establish and coordinate multidisciplinary project teams to prepare bids, select vendors and/or subcontractors and determine cost effectiveness of projects to be bid
- Work with designers during the pursuit, to optimize the design and review for constructability
- Assign and supervise the work of other estimators in the department when necessary and act as mentor to junior team members
- Oversee and review project plans, requirements, and specifications.
- Develop and review total estimates, proposals and bid documents for accuracy and cost effectiveness prior to formal submission
- Compare and analyze competitive subcontractor and supplier bids.
- Lead “Hand-Off” meeting with Project team, after winning the bid.
- Monitor actual cost to estimated cost
- Participate in pre-bid meetings, bid strategy and representation meetings as required
- Lead and promote development of creative and innovative solutions to construction challenges
- Assist with performance reviews
- Perform additional assignments as needed
Qualifications and Requirements
- To be successful in this position, you should possess a minimum of 10+ years’ experience in leading bridge, elevated highway and/or highway estimates ranging from $20M to $500M+.
- You will possess a Bachelordegree in a related field from an accredited institution; or substantial hands on industry experience and training
- Substantial exposure to large scale design-build and/or P3 projects.
- Thorough understanding with applied knowledge of construction earthwork, bridges and structures, paving, underground, and grading practices on large high-profile and complex heavy civil projects
- Expert knowledge of estimating techniques and cost control, plus ability to interpret computerized cost data and systems essential. High proficiency with HCSS is preferred.
- Proven leadership and management capabilities
- Proven ability and willingness to lead and/or mentor junior estimators