The main responsibilities for the instructor are to work with ESOL Specialist III and the ESOL Site Advisor to implement the goals and activities of the adult education program. To teach and assist adult ESOL students in improving their English skills (reading, listening, speaking, writing). To instruct adult ESOL students in classes and learning experiences which will lead to the achievement of their educational and personal goals. To assist in the managedenrollment process to recruit and maintain students and student records.
- Accountability and Professionalism – Demonstrates enthusiasm for and commitment to the position and accepts responsibility for personal actions.
- Customer Service – Commits to meeting the expectations of internal and external customers.Listens and responds effectively to customer questions; resolves customer problems to the customer’s satisfaction; respects all internal and external customers.
- Collaboration and Teamwork – Supports a positive team environment in which members participate, respect and cooperate with each other to receive desired results.
- Job-Specific Knowledge and Skills - Plans, prioritizes, and organizes work effectively to produce measurable results; keeps current with and effectively applies new work methods, skills and technologies to complete work.
- Bachelor’s degreerequired, with training and/or experience in ESOL. NYS TESOL certification preferred.
- Experience teaching and/or working with adults.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to work well with a variety of people, in a multicultural setting, involving a variety of team situations.
- Complete pre-service training prior to assignment
- Instruct assigned English classes for 2 ½ hour sessions, twice a week in 10 week cycles
- Prepare a syllabus and daily lesson plans for each session/class based on student needs/interests, and the prescribed curriculum.
- Administer standardized assessments
- Assist with the intake registration and placement of new students
- Maintain daily attendance records
- Maintain confidentiality of student records and personal information.
- Successfully demonstrated knowledge of technology-assisted learning instructional software, video, audio and distance learning preferred.
- Multilingual candidates preferred (Spanish, Chinese, Arabic, preferred)