Evaluates, recommends, plans, directs, and coordinates clinical information applications, systems and technologies for URMC hospitals (SMH, HH and FFT) for improvement of operations, efficient use of resources and improved patient care. Must be very knowledgeable of organization’s policies, procedures, and business operations. Directs assigned groups, projects and activities.
Under general direction and with latitude for independent judgment:
20% - Serves as primary analyst for the clinical information system. Completes the functional design and directs the build of the clinical information system which requires obtaining and maintaining current Epic certification. Epic certification may require up to two weeks of training requiring travel. Manages all phases of assigned projects and coordinates personnel and other resources as required for the completion of the project.
- Primary liaison to IT /directors, managers, and analysts internal and external to ISD for Bridges integration support
- Coordinates interfaces between Epic applications, Rhapsody interface engine, direct Epic integration, and external systems
- Helps URMC eRecord staff and external partners understand needs/requirements for integration
- Coordinate all issues that arise for the application.
- Oversight for all inbound/outbound Bridges interface communications
Functional job responsibilities include:
- 20% - Work with Epic representatives, system architects, business analysts, and Rhapsody developers and customers to:
- Understand the choices involved in application specifications
- Perform in-depth analysis of workflows, interface requirements, and other technical issues associated with Epic software
- Investigate preferred choices of data integration for sending/receiving systems
- Respond to Epic’s technical questions. Facilitates meetings and relationship with Epic TS. Manages Sherlock tickets, care concerns, nova notes.
- Analyze integration set up/processes and implement LEAN improvements.
- Prioritize and implement requested/epic recommended changes to the system. Guide business analysts, Rhapsody developers and customers in bridges set up, requirements, and options.
- Analyze new functionality in new releases to determine usage
- 15% - Directs the coordination and review of changes
- Coordinate software updates and changes between Epic applications, Rhapsody interface engine and external systems
- Review changes with business analyst team, Rhapsody developers and Epic as needed.
- Ensure that data coming across an interface meets the business need and any security and privacy requirements.
- 15% - Develop and document internal operational procedures for Bridges integration and governance
- Maintain documentation of existing interfaces and integration in development. Works with Epic to review interface audits to understand and anticipate future growth needs and retire interfaces as needed.
- Set standards for naming and numbering conventions and security classifications
- Follow established change control processes and procedures for the system.
- Troubleshoot problems and questions from end users
- Manage Bridges monitoring and alarms
10% - Coordinates activities with other clinical information systems technical and applications specialists and develops relationships with external experts to assure technically efficient and cost-effective decisions regarding clinical information systems. Supports all project team members with application and information systems knowledge primary resource dedicated to designing, building, testing, and activating the application database.
5% - Develops integrated strategies and workplans. Manages completion of activities as documented on the work plan. Coordinates with business analyst and Rhapsody developers to prioritize tasks, projects, and changes to Bridges interfaces, including installation of new interface types. Oversight for all direct Bridges interface communications between Epic and external systems.
5% - Demonstrates effective communication and problem-solving skills to meet workflow and customer needs within resource constraints.
5% - Participates in priority setting for Hospital and Medical Center cost and quality goals with regard to clinical information systems. Actively participates in departmental, hospital and medical center meetings and committees as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in related discipline such as Computer Science, Business, Mathematics, Statistics, Science or Engineering, and 4-5 years of related experience, preferably 2-3 years in a supervisory capacity, 2-3 years experience with HL7 v2 messaging and healthcare interface projects; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in health care setting preferred
- Epic Bridges and/or Rhapsody Interface engine experience preferred
- Experience with healthcare messaging protocols: HL7 v2, HL7 v3 CDA, HL7 FHIR preferred
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of experience required. Graduate degree preferred Strong attention to detail, ability to develop creative solutions to complex problems, and developed critical thinking skills.
- Ability to lead meetings, prioritize, resolve conflicts, maintain issues lists and work to a project plan
- Strong communication skills and follow-up skills
- Lean Practitioner or lean experience preferred
- Detail-oriented and a knack for probing for information to fully understand the underlying needs of the organization and user community