The Epidemiologist will work in a multidisciplinary team developing new models of human life-expectancy and its relationship to a broad set of demographic and medical risk factors. Such factors shall include age, gender, time, disease history, socio-economic circumstance as well as biometric and lifestyle variables.
Relevant backgrounds include epidemiology, physiology, human biology, genetics, statistics, public health, mathematics, or equivalent. The Epidemiologist will also be expected to become expert in the existing models that are being maintained and refined by the LifeRisks group.
Essential Job Functions:
- Understanding the modeling approach of the LifeRisks products at RMS, updating, maintaining and refining the mathematical models as well as parts of the software that pertain to the model development and execution.
- Keep abreast of pertinent epidemiological and medical research, and relevant discoveries and advancements in medicine, changes in lifestyle and health environment, etc. Be able to quantify and refine the models to reflected these changes and discoveries.
- Create prototype analytical models and develop software code for testing, validation and transition of these models into the production software.
- Understand life and health insurance products and cash flows.
- Solve difficult, non-routine problems using structured reasoning and the synthesis of both quantitative and qualitative information.
- Clearly communicate highly technical results and methods to technical and non-technical audiences.
- 3+ years of experience (PhD) or 5+ years (Master’s) preferably in life and health industry.
- Master’s or PhD in quantitative discipline; such as math, bioengineering, actuarial science, statistics, physics, public health or equivalent.
- Proficiency in statistics and data analysis software tools and strong scientific programming experience in R, Python, Matlab, or equivalent.
- Experience in using Excel, VBA, and SQL.
- Ability to apply analytical and programming skills to solve unstructured problems requiring new development and data analysis.
- Strong communication and presentation skills are required for this role.
- An entrepreneurial approach to new challenges and opportunities.
- Strong background in biological sciences, epidemiology, or actuarialexperience is a strong plus.