The Environmental Sustainability Lead is primarily responsible for the development, implementation, and management of PayPal’s environmental strategy. Working alongside the Social Innovation team, the Environmental Sustainability Lead will formulate strategies for environmental initiatives and work closely with senior management to set appropriate goals and targets. The role requires someone with a strong environmental background and experience in corporate environmental strategy and reporting who is also an energetic self-starter with excellent communication and diplomacy skills. This position reports into the Sr. Director of the Social Innovation and Environmental Sustainability function, which resides within Corporate Affairs.
Primary job responsibilities
- Provide strategic direction and management of PayPal’s environmental sustainability program, including setting goals and targets and environmental footprint calculation and reporting
- Identify and manage environmental sustainability issues, concerns and stakeholder interests relevant to PayPal.
- Work across business units, including facilities & real estate and data centers, to identify and centralize relevant environmental data.
- Coordinate with various teams and internal stakeholders to design environmental impact reduction strategies, and lead the implementation of prioritized initiatives to achieve strategic objectives
- Develop and roll out systems to measure the progress of environmental initiatives. Monitor and evaluate effectiveness of environmental initiatives with the aim of achieving PayPal’s environmental goals and targets
- Lead the effort to communicate PayPal’s environmental impact and the results of environmental initiatives to internal and external stakeholders
- Work alongside the Social Innovation team to identify opportunities to collaborate and recognize synergies, including aligning environmental and employee engagement initiatives.
Skills and experience
- Excellent communication and presentation skills with ability to communicate effectively with senior leadership and key external stakeholders
- Proficient in technical environmental footprint calculation methodologies and frameworks
- Strong understanding of corporate environmental issues including energy, greenhouse gas emissions, water, and waste, and best practices in goal setting, designing reduction initiatives and measuring progress
- Proven track record in managing corporate environmental programs
- Comfortable navigating through large organizations to obtain stakeholder buy-in on implementation of environmental initiatives and programs
- Proven ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams across geographical regions
- 5-7 years minimum work experience
We're a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.