Environmental Sciences and Planning Director
At HDR, we specialize in engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services. While we are most well-known for adding beauty and structure to communities through high-performance buildings and smart infrastructure, we provide much more than that. We create an unshakable foundation for progress because our multidisciplinary teams also include scientists, economists, builders, analysts and artists. That’s why we believe diversity is our greatest strength. HDR is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer.
Watch our 'About Us' video
We believe that the way we work can add meaning and value to the world. That ideas inspire positive change. That coloring outside the lines can illuminate fresh perspectives. And that small details yield important realizations. Above all, we believe that collaboration is the best way forward.
HDR has partnered with clients to shape communities and push the boundaries of what's possible since 1917. We specialize in engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services. With nearly 10,000 employees in more than 225 locations around the world, we think global and act local.
The primary duty of the Corporate Environmental Sciences and Planning Director, working internally as part of our Cross Sector Services program, is to provide strategic focus on positioning HDR as a preferred service provider in the area of environmental planning and compliance for all market sectors and leadership in technical aspects of environmental service delivery. This position will report to the Cross Sector Director, and will collaborate with the Business Group Environmental Sciences and Planning Directors for overall resource allocation, key hires, quality control, and technical excellence. There are no direct reports associated with Corporate Environmental Sciences and Planning Director; however, budget is afforded for other staff to assist in the execution of the environmental program’s technical practices and regional coordinators. More specific duties include:
Project and Program Support Responsibilities – This position will serve as a focal point for the Business Groups to deliver the necessary environmental services and create alliances across the company to assure the most efficient environmental planning and compliance process is being delivered for the HDR’s clients. This position will work closely with other technical Business Class Directors, Business Group Directors of Professional Services, Regional Business Group Directors, and Operations Directors on delivery of existing projects and work with various Market Sector Directors and Client Managers developing long-term tactical plans to best serve the environmental needs of HDR’s clients. Additional duties include technical support, quality oversight, best practice development, project leadership, and principal-level program/project management.
Marketing and Business Development – This position will assist in developing HDR’s global environmental capabilities with the ultimate goal of servicing the environmental needs of our Business Group clients. Additional duties include supporting internal and external client relationships, recruiting and staff development, and major pursuit coordination. This position also encompasses supporting capture planning efforts, pre-proposal visitations, proposal preparation coordination with technical and marketing staff, presentations and negotiations.
Location and Travel
The geographic location of this position is non-specific; however, a location with significant HDR presence is preferred. There is a minimum of 30-40% travelassociated with this role.
The predominance of responsibilities of this role will be in supporting technical delivery, business development, marketing and coordination with other market sectors and business groups. However, as a seller-doer, this position may actively engaged in project and program work. The type of work will depend largely on the engagement, but would likely be advisory, Project Principal, quality or technical reviews utilizing the individual’s strengths and experiences.
Keyword(s): Corporate Environmental Sciences and Planning Director: Environmental Science, Planning
This position requires the following skills, attributes and experience:
- Minimum of a Bachelors Degree in Environmental Science, Planning, Civil Engineering or similar environmental related degrees.
- Minimum of 15 years in leading regional or national environmental services for major infrastructure development.
- Maintained client relationships, and have a track record of success in this arena.
- Experienced in development and management of strategic marketing programs for environmental service.
- Experienced in development and management of a wide range of client relationships and specific program and/or project pursuits.
- Experienced with industry associations and maintains a visible profile in the markets.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with client managers, technical directors, business group directors and operations staff.
- Be willing and have the ability to travel domestically up to 50% of their time, and travelinternationally when needed.
- Demonstrated commitment to HDR values and an attitude and commitment to being an active participant of our employee-owned culture is a must.
- Certification or professional licensing in and environmental field (e.g., Certified Environmental Professional [CEP], Professional Wetland Scientist [PWS], etc.) preferred, but not required.